+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To change or not to change?

I'm Jonathan.

Default To change or not to change?

Hi everyone,

I have been wondering for a few months whether I can improve on my turntable setup. I do like the sound a lot but without facilities to demo a range of kit I would appreciate any comments, advice etc. Budget will depend on what I decide to change but I am prepared to dip into savings for the right choice.

I believe my phono stage (Whest PS40 RDT SE) amp (Grandinote Shinai) and speakers (Tune Audio Prime) will stay.

I am also pleased with the cartridge, AT Art9 with Zyx Airy 3 as backup) and I have a Funk Houdini which does make a big difference.

My turntable is a Michell Orbe with an SME IV. I have toyed with the idea of changing the Orbe but this could cost a lot (e.g. I love the looks of an Oracle Delphi), but I also wondered whether an Audiomods VI would be a step up from the SME. I have a Rega armplate for the Orbe.

What do you think? Or should I be happy with what I have (it is good!)

Jonathan

I'm Adam.

SME IV + 1 = SME V

After all, the Orbe was designed for it.

Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    SME IV + 1 = SME V

After all, the Orbe was designed for it.

From what I have read there is not much difference and they have the same sound ‘signatures’ so the investment may be better spent on a different arm or turntable?

I'm John.

With you having a Rega armboard I would look at an Origin Live arm like the Illustrious mk4 or Conqueror mk4. If ordered direct from OL there is a 30 day return.
    The sale of your SME IV should cover most if not all of the cost of a Conqueror mk4 and to my mind it would significantly outperform the IV.
    I spoke to Mark Baker a couple of weeks back about Pxing my Conqueror 3C for an Enterprise Mk4 and was surprised how generous the PX value was when upgrading (basically 90% of original retail) during our chat he confirmed a rumour I'd heard that he would have a Conqueror mk4 over the previous generation Enterprise C as its a much better performer.

I'm Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    With you having a Rega armboard I would look at an Origin Live arm like the Illustrious mk4 or Conqueror mk4. If ordered direct from OL there is a 30 day return.
    The sale of your SME IV should cover most if not all of the cost of a Conqueror mk4 and to my mind it would significantly outperform the IV.
    I spoke to Mark Baker a couple of weeks back about Pxing my Conqueror 3C for an Enterprise Mk4 and was surprised how generous the PX value was when upgrading (basically 90% of original retail) during our chat he confirmed a rumour I'd heard that he would have a Conqueror mk4 over the previous generation Enterprise C as its a much better performer.
    Thanks, useful info John.

The reviews seem to back that up, so worth considering.

+ Reply to Thread