+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAFETY ALERT, Perspex cased BMU (Balanced mains unit)

I'm Alan.

Default SAFETY ALERT, Perspex cased BMU (Balanced mains unit)

I have found a serious safety problem with an encased BMU. DO NOT OVERLOAD YOUR BMU, this applies equally to any transformer.

The unit in question is a perspex cased BMU, I stress that this transformer has been subject to OVERLOAD.

The enclosed 1kVA transformer was held in place with glue and expanded foam packing, with no ventilation or method of heat transfer whatsoever.
    Every power transformer has a specified temperature rise (above ambient) at full rating, usually 55 degrees Centigrade.

Think about that.. 55 degrees above ambient. Usually a transformer has free air around it that conducts heat away from it.

This is what I found:

I don't know what loading had been used on this BMU but the transformer became so hot that (1) the foam packing has melted, plus most worryingly (2) the transformer insulation and the input wiring PVC insulation has melted, causing a short circuit. The input wiring was held against the top of the transformer by the frankly shocking construction employed.

The unit was causing a trip to operate in the consumer unit (mains supply).

The melting point of PVC insulation is >140 degrees C, so not a great situation.
    Unfortunately due to the construction method a visual inspection of similar units is nearly impossible.

The minimum advice for anyone using one of these would be to operate it at nowhere near maximum rating.
    Last edited by Firebottle; 07-07-2021 at 06:31.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andrew.

WTF!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Phil.

thanks so much for highlighting , nearly bought one of these in past .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Adam.

Shocking (sorry…)

Frankly I’m not surprised. I’ve seen pictures of the inside of one of his ‘Statement’ products and it was appalling.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Shane.

Jesus fucking wept! You could destroy earth with that thing.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Will.

Oops, wrong kind of insulation
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Alan.

Having received feedback from the manufacturer it is confirmed that the design principle is one of containment under fault conditions.

It is considered not to present a fire hazard but my advice of under-running the unit stands.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Adam.

Looking at the pictures, my advice would be to not plug it in under any circumstances!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Having received feedback from the manufacturer it is confirmed that the design principle is one of containment under fault conditions.

It is considered not to present a fire hazard but my advice of under-running the unit stands.

Sounds very familiar. cladding?

I'm Alan.

A statement from the manufacture:

'Our current BMU comes with the option of a thermal cut out and we speak to each potential purchaser about the calculations required to check the power consumption of the equipment that they want to use the BMU with. The BMU is rated at 1Kva. We recommend that you do not use beyond 70% of that capacity. If we are not satisfied that the BMU will be used within that limit, we won't sell it to you.'

Bear this in mind if you buy one second hand.
    Last edited by Firebottle; 07-07-2021 at 06:32.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast