+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schiit Freya Plus Upgrades

I'm Ken.

Default Schiit Freya Plus Upgrades

The Freya Plus is one of the few Pre Amps (reasonably priced) that will fulfil my needs.
    There were a few minor details that niggled me and as its a keeper I thought I would address these.

To sum up the things that I've done:

Added Socket savers to lift the Tubes out of the case (Cooling)
    Added additional vents to the top cover and base to further aid cooling
    Fitted taller feet, to match other gear and aid airflow to the new base vents.
    Made the volume indicator more legible
    Changed the colour of the LED function lamps to Blue (Match other gear)
    Changed the Single ended outputs to XLR sockets. (My preference)

I managed to reduce the case temperatures and no doubt the part temperatures, find the whole story on my blog here:
    https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Freya/Freya_03.html
    Last edited by Qwin; 01-07-2021 at 09:55.

I'm Rob.

Nice Job!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm SACHIN.

Nice !!

Regards
    Sachin
    Micro Seiki MB-14st
    Technics-SLD-303
    DIY CNC MM Phonostage
    Technics SU8022

I'm Chris.

Been after one of these forever . . . .

Failed to find one and Schiit UK are . . . well very much living up to their name on that front.

It is a pre-amp which fulfills ALL my requirements in one package. Just wish I could find one . . . .
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Ken.

I ordered a UK spec unit from the US web site last year, at the time Schiit UK hadn't had one for nearly a year.
    They currently have a 4 to 6 week lead time on a UK spec unit.
    At the time, I had to wait 2 months for the next batch to be made, I pre paid by card and for Fedex express, I received mine within a week of stock being available on the website. It was picked up Tuesday and I had it in my hands Friday morning.
    No stock came to Europe from that batch, they were all gobbled up by pre orders and their home market. They make more on the home market sales as the pricing is similar worldwide, but there is no additional distributer mark up.
    They were very good and didn't draw on my card till stock was available. They emailed me when available and I had to re submit, because the card authorisation had timed out.
    It cost me about £80.00 more than UK price, with higher shipping cost and duty added, but was the only way I was going to get one. The Dollar/Pound exchange rate is very favourable at present.
    Be aware, Schiit UK will not honour the warranty for one purchased this way, the unit would have to be shipped back to the States.
    Its worth it.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    I ordered a UK spec unit from the US web site last year, at the time Schiit UK hadn't had one for nearly a year.
    They currently have a 4 to 6 week lead time on a UK spec unit.
    At the time, I had to wait 2 months for the next batch to be made, I pre paid by card and for Fedex express, I received mine within a week of stock being available on the website. It was picked up Tuesday and I had it in my hands Friday morning.
    No stock came to Europe from that batch, they were all gobbled up by pre orders and their home market. They make more on the home market sales as the pricing is similar worldwide, but there is no additional distributer mark up.
    They were very good and didn't draw on my card till stock was available. They emailed me when available and I had to re submit, because the card authorisation had timed out.
    It cost me about £80.00 more than UK price, with higher shipping cost and duty added, but was the only way I was going to get one. The Dollar/Pound exchange rate is very favourable at present.
    Be aware, Schiit UK will not honour the warranty for one purchased this way, the unit would have to be shipped back to the States.
    Its worth it.
    Thanks Ken, appreciate your experience there.

To be honest I got fed up with waiting and bought an alternative, however I still think it's an excellent unit and offers a tiny bit more than the one I bought (Musical Paradise MP-701 MKII). It's a blooming excellent pre-amp in it's own right but the output is not fully balanced and does not have the option to switch active/passive/tube outputs. A real trump card for the Schiit. I also prefer the aesthetics of the Schiit.

Fair play for taking the plunge, sounds like you've made a good unit even better too.

Congrats and enjoy!

(If one came up for sale I'd still be interested haha!).
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Alan.

Excellent job on the venting Ken, I'll take a look at your blog.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

Good job!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice work Ken. Bring it to the next NEBO. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nice work Ken. Bring it to the next NEBO. :-)
    That's the plan Ali, along with my modded Primaluna PL4 for HF, Nord class D, now sporting Rev D input boards (bass++), the new speaker cabinets and Marchand active crossover with Linkwitz Transform. I'm kicking an f3 of 19Hz with this combo.

Last edited by Qwin; 01-07-2021 at 13:39.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast