+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Superfi or madness

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Did you A/B against the Denon before deciding which one to keep?
    lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    so you decided to go for it. Sweet.
    I asked Alan for his opinion about them, and he very kindly offered to have a chat about it. I was on the fence, mainly concerned about reliability but as Alan pointed out they are built like tanks, and the caps and transistors are readily available and not expensive, so even a good overhaul of the main caps and outputs would not be too costly.

Also your help, Martin, is greatly appreciated, your experience and comments on Krell amps gave me confidence it could work for me, thank you.

I will do some serious listening over the next few days and post a few more thoughts on it,

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Steve.

Yer having a giraffe!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Yer having a giraffe!
    lol

Hi Steve, lovely to hear from you and a fellow Progy, hope your keeping well and enjoying your system, I must stream some of your shows on the new set up

Power to the Progies

Cheers
    Adrian

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I asked Alan for his opinion about them, and he very kindly offered to have a chat about it. I was on the fence, mainly concerned about reliability but as Alan pointed out they are built like tanks, and the caps and transistors are readily available and not expensive, so even a good overhaul of the main caps and outputs would not be too costly.

Also your help, Martin, is greatly appreciated, your experience and comments on Krell amps gave me confidence it could work for me, thank you.

I will do some serious listening over the next few days and post a few more thoughts on it,

I think you summed it up earlier, astonishing bass control and separation of instruments. That's what I like about mine. Probably would not be so obvious if using a speaker that is an easy load but so few modern speakers are.

I'd guess the Wilsons have some serious impedance swings that would challenge an 'ordinary' amplifier, but a Krell will drive any load like it's not there. That's the difference.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think you summed it up earlier, astonishing bass control and separation of instruments. That's what I like about mine. Probably would not be so obvious if using a speaker that is an easy load but so few modern speakers are.

I'd guess the Wilsons have some serious impedance swings that would challenge an 'ordinary' amplifier, but a Krell will drive any load like it's not there. That's the difference.
    Completely agree, I noticed on several tracks the mid and bass drivers of the Wilson’s doing some serious excursions back and forth. One track was Supertramp’s - School it made me think that they and the amp would be working hard, it sounded great. I presume the loading would have been swinging all over the place and the Krell would just be supplying what was needed.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Very nice. Still enjoying my KSA 100- when I get a chance, which isn’t often at the moment.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Very nice. Still enjoying my KSA 100- when I get a chance, which isn’t often at the moment.
    Hi Ali, I didn’t know you were in the Krell fold. I am forming the opinion that they are rather nice amps.

Cheers

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes agreed, there is much to like about them.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

I see you've cut the support down a little- it had an extra layer, I seem to recall?
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast