+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Superfi or madness

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Don’t quite get this?

If your saying people are put off by thinking it’s energy/electric hungry and thus lowering values it does not make much sense. If you think about it 0.6kw/h is a drop in the ocean when compared to running/charging an electric vehicle. If it relates to components I suspect there are rarer and more valuable elements inside a modern class D amp that an older class A, but maybe the class A uses more by volume.
    Buying any used amplifier as opposed to a new one is always 'greener' for those concerned about such things/think it will make a scrap of difference to anything.

I just do it to save money
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I seem to remember talk of making class A illegal a while ago, and this may influence people's regard for them.

There is so much movement ATM on electricity generation and more particularly battery technology that it is difficult to know the likely final (asymptotal), outcome of costs.

There is also the consideration of the high stress that class A components are subjected to, and hence reliability.
    I have always loved class A BTW.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I seem to remember talk of making class A illegal a while ago, and this may influence people's regard for them.

That would be great. I've got four of them. Prices will skyrocket!

The talk was just nonsense though, as I said a lot of people way overestimate how much power they use.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

The talk was just nonsense though, as I said a lot of people way overestimate how much power they use.
    I think my 300b SET amp draws about 300 watts, I can live with that. About a tenth of what a kettle would use probably.

I was impressed by the weight and build of Macca's Krell, it's an honest design signalling its intent with brutish looks imo. A lifestyle product it is not

I suspect secondhand prices are relatively low because average Joe fears a high end but aging product such as this will be scarily expensive to fix. Firebottle showed this not to be the case.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adrian.

There is so much movement ATM on electricity generation and more particularly battery technology that it is difficult to know the likely final (asymptotal), outcome of costs.

There is also the consideration of the high stress that class A components are subjected to, and hence reliability.
    I have always loved class A BTW.
    There is a lot of guff talked about ECO stuff and saving the planet, don’t get me wrong I think as a race we really need to sort the mess out that we have created. However let’s take the example of electric cars, these at present run on Lithium Batteries, there is already heads up on supply shortages and ultimately having to mine the stuff off the sea floor, REALLY how eco friendly is that. Even new battery technologies don’t resolve the same resources issue.

I am not advocating keeping petrol/diesel cars, lorries, planes and ships they need to go.

What we need is a worldwide clear and concise green strategy that not only deals with the issues now but also looks to the future. Alternatively we need to plan to leave the planet in about 50-100 years max, unfortunately those left behind will burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I think my 300b SET amp draws about 300 watts, I can live with that. About a tenth of what a kettle would use probably.

I was impressed by the weight and build of Macca's Krell, it's an honest design signalling its intent with brutish looks imo. A lifestyle product it is not

I suspect secondhand prices are relatively low because average Joe fears a high end but aging product such as this will be scarily expensive to fix. Firebottle showed this not to be the case.
    well depends what's wrong with it, I think the reservoir caps are about a hundred quid each. Mine just needed the spark plugs cleaning or something.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

well depends what's wrong with it, I think the reservoir caps are about a hundred quid each. Mine just needed the spark plugs cleaning or something.
    Still compares favourably with the cost of consumables such as valves or stylii. Quality isn't necessarily too expensive, but it's not going to be FOC. I'm hoping to get a listen to yours when I get round to bringing your RCM back
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Still compares favourably with the cost of consumables such as valves or stylii. Quality isn't necessarily too expensive, but it's not going to be FOC. I'm hoping to get a listen to yours when I get round to bringing your RCM back
    Oh not visiting me then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dennis.

Depends how poor one is, and many of us would leave a power amp on all the time for SQ reasons.

I'm Martin.

Depends how poor one is, and many of us would leave a power amp on all the time for SQ reasons.
    That's an easy habit to get out of.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast