+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: KEF LS50s - demos?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I almost included that, but thought that might just be my experience!
    No, even if they don't actually work in coffee it will still be a big part of their lives. Along with being 'concerned' about global warming and Palestine.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This is getting to be a prime example of AoS's notorious thread drift!

But to indulge in it a bit longer, I have to say I really dislike tattoos on the neck (or anywhere else for that matter). My biggest bugbear is facial piercings; I simply cannot look someone in the face if they have them.

Another bete noir with me is the current fashion of blokes having a 'samurai' style top-knot. Oh, and blokes with heavily receding hair, but sporting a ponytail.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

All of those aspects annoy me also, and I wonder if as a fairly liberal person there is something wrong with me for feeling this way. I do support thee rights of the individual, but then I think it really is some sort of group identity signal rather than high art expressed in personal decoration.

The piercings to me are an unnecessary violation of the body, and often must get in the way of functioning to an extent- the tongue.

The critical parent in me says; "With all that energy and money create something worthwhile", instead of being excessively narcissistic in an inane way. I've always been very sceptical about breast implants because of health, and now we are seeing the results of 20 to 30 years of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    All of those aspects annoy me also, and I wonder if as a fairly liberal person there is something wrong with me for feeling this way. I do support the rights of the individual, but then I think it really is some sort of group identity signal rather than high art expressed in personal decoration.

The piercings to me are an unnecessary violation of the body, and often must get in the way of functioning to an extent- the tongue.

The critical parent in me says; "With all that energy and money create something worthwhile", instead of being excessively narcissistic in an inane way. I've always been very sceptical about breast implants because of health, and now we are seeing the results of 20 to 30 years of them.
    I've have had similar thoughts Dennis, but would agree with your subsequent musings.

Regarding tongue piercings, I believe dentists are concerned they can at times damage the tooth enamel.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This is getting to be a prime example of AoS's notorious thread drift!

But to indulge in it a bit longer, I have to say I really dislike tattoos on the neck (or anywhere else for that matter). My biggest bugbear is facial piercings; I simply cannot look someone in the face if they have them.

Another bete noir with me is the current fashion of blokes having a 'samurai' style top-knot. Oh, and blokes with heavily receding hair, but sporting a ponytail.
    So you probably wouldn't approve of the bath plug I've got hanging from my eyebrow. But if you could just power through it, I'll try to see past the shirt, tie and cable-knit tank top in 30C heat

On your travels around the world you must have come across some pretty extreme examples of the stuff people can do to their faces, how did you get on with them? And what did they have to say about the tank tops?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Yes - the Mursi in Ethiopia, the women wear the most off-putting 'lip plates': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lip_plate . I found it very difficult to look them in the face, but not to do so would have been impolite.

It is thought by anthropologists that the size of the plate denotes the size of the herd of cattle when it come to settling on a bride price. But others have suggested it is a relic from the time of slave raiding: the women did it deliberately to make themselves look unattractive and not be taken as slaves.

It's now falling out of practice and being replaced by scarification as a means of body decoration. https://www.exploring-africa.com/en/...-mursi-culture

The Hamar tribe, also of the Omo valley in south Ethiopia, practice scarification for body decoration as well. https://www.larskrutak.com/ethiopias...e-hamar-tribe/ Even more alarming and puzzling is the ritual whipping of Hamar women, the welts on their backs caused by it are supposed to make them attractive to their men.

I have also seen scarification amongst the peoples of Burkina Faso.

For some reason I find I can look at that whereas I find facial piercings repellent.
    Barry

Apropos 'tank tops', they had nothing to say about them, but the women who walk around bare-breasted were fascinated by the bra worn by my travelling companion. For want of a name, they called them "sucky holders" - which is as good a name as any.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-07-2021 at 15:46. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Grant.

all for barebreastedness and scarification but whats this nonsense about compulsary eating of asparagus

edit, actually wearing of tanktops.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I've often wondered about the point of gilets. If the weather is cold enough to require a coat, why not wear one? I can't think of an instance where having sleeves is such an inconvenience. Unless you're a country vet.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dennis.

Back onto the subject of Radios 1,2,3,4 etc, does anyone else hear a whine on the O/P of R4?
    (I have recently bought a new very good tuner and am sure that it is not faulty.)

My Hi-Fi friend does not, but after listening to it for many months, I heard it disappear during a programme changeover, and that must have involved a continuity or studio change.

Its nature is that of a digitally generated by product, and presumably considered to be low enough for S/N purposes. I guess it is about -50 relative to peak.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast