+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E.A.T. Jo No. 5 MC Cartridge

I'm Richard.

Default E.A.T. Jo No. 5 MC Cartridge

https://www.analogueseduction.net/ca...cartridge.html

I ordered this on 3rd December 2020 from Analogue Seduction, and it arrived on the 5th Jan 2021. Whilst I was waiting for it to arrive I was tempted by a used Benz Micro LP-S and bought that too, which arrived on the same day, and I've fallen in love with.

This is barely used - 5 hours absolute max. It’s a lovely sounding cartridge, and I’m sure it will probably improve as it breaks in, but I'm not using it and just had to fork out for a new TV. Due to it’s very limited usage on clean vinyl, it’s in immaculate condition. I’ve misplaced the final piece of padding from the box (if it came with some), so I’ll put something makeshift in to keep it secure for shipping.

E.A.T. Jo N°5 Cartridge technical information
    Stylus type ** *Nude Fine Line
    Cartridge Weight ** *15 g
    Stylus tip radius ** *8/40 μm
    Frequency response ** *20 – 26.000 Hz ±1.5dB
    Output voltage at 1000 Hz ** *5cm/sec. 0.33 mV
    Channel Separation at 1 kHz ** *> 25dB
    Channel Separation at 15 kHz ** *> 16dB
    Channel Balance at 1kHz ** *> 1.2 dB
    Compliance, dynamic/lateral ** *12 μm/mN
    Tracking force range ** *2.2-2.5 g (22-25 mN)
    Tracking force recommended ** *2.4 g (24 mN)
    Tracking ability at 315 Hz at recommended tracking force** *80 μm
    Tracking angle ** *20°
    Coil wire material ** *Pure 4N copper
    Recommended load impedance ** *> 20Ω
    Internal impedance, DC resistance ** *5Ω

Some online reviews:
    https://www.hifinews.com/content/eat-jo-no5-cartridge
    https://www.analogplanet.com/content...coil-cartridge
    https://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/m...7%20EAT_LR.pdf

RRP is £799 - I didn’t get the fancy wooden box for an additional £300.

For sale at £650 inc. postage to the UK, or collection from Leeds. Would prefer to avoid shipping abroad.

I'm Richard.

Bump

I'm Des.

Is this still available?
    Rega RP8/RB3000/AT OC9XML, Clones Audio PA1, DDDac1794/Pi4, Rega Elicit-r, Bastanis Wildhorn speakers.

I'm Richard.

Hi Des,

Yes, still here and for sale.

Cheers
    Richard

I'm Des.

What arm do you use, I was wondering how it managed the weight? I have an RP8 with RB808 and am unsure if the arm will work with such a heavy cartridge. Reading the reviews makes me want to give it a go
    Rega RP8/RB3000/AT OC9XML, Clones Audio PA1, DDDac1794/Pi4, Rega Elicit-r, Bastanis Wildhorn speakers.

I'm Richard.

I'm using a DV-507, so it's very flexible, and I can use a headshell with a different weight if I need to. That's also why I let it come even after ordering the Benz, because it's quite easy to swap I thought I might use both. But then I need to open the phono stage and swap the loading resistors too, and the Banz has no stylus guard, so I get jittery when it's off the deck.

The reviews are really good, but one of them is more balanced than the others - as is the way, I'd take that one as closer to the truth, and ignore some of the over the top stuff in the others. From what I've heard, it's very good - really detailed and enjoyable. It's pretty big sounding and maybe a little bit forward in the midrange, and the soundstage is not quite as pinpoint as I'd ultimately hope for, which might change a bit as it's used.

I dropped it to £585 on eBay, so can honour that here.

I'm Richard.

From what I can see, the effective mass is 10g, so resonant frequency would be just over 9Hz. Rega counterweights are expecting 4-11g carttridges, so even though the EAT recommended VTF is high at 2.4g, I think it would probably need a heavier counterwight. I *think* that would reduce the effective mass a little, and therefore increase the resonant frequency slightly, which isn't a bad thing. Rega make a heavier counterweight themselves, so it probably could work, but others might have better advice.

I'm Des.

Thanks for taking the trouble to work that out, I don't have a clue about that side of things. It looks like an interesting bit of kit but I'm going to see how much a heavier counterweight and two spacers add to the cost as I'm already over the budget I initially set.

I'm Richard.

No worries. Any change always seems to be a slippery slope doesn't it!?

I'm Richard.

After very little interest, I thought I might as well get some use out of this before listing again. It really is very good.

I've just put it on eBay with a £1 max fee but happy to consider offers close to £575 here. It's now had about 40 hours use, and after about a hundered attempts, I managed to get a photo of the stylus that's as good as I can manage. A couple of updated pics below, although it still looks the same as it did before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast