+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's next? Looking for recommendations...

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I read that early 1980s is best for Hitachi, JVC, that whole bunch. Better transistors became available and it was before the cost-cutting started.
    Yeah... Discovered Hitachi by accident, just wanted to see what it takes to take an amp and recap it. My audiophile experience is not very rich, but it has always been a jaw dropping experience for me.

My first shock was when I switched from a B&O enhanced phone audio to the proper USB valve DAC (Aune T1 with a rare Russian cold war military tube), then I was knocked down by Beresford Bushmaster II DAC and later finished off by attaching it's output to that Hitachi of mine. It shines both with excellent sources and more importantly with less than perfect sources on youtube, Spotify or internet radio, I guess I was lucky to come across this ancient piece of the Dynaharmony technology.

I'm still a newbie, but I'd hate upgrading it to something that technically has a cleaner and more neutral sound (shouldn't be difficult, right?) while being less enjoyable and less unforgiving for the quality of the source.
    Last edited by alexk0il; 14-06-2021 at 17:27.

I'm Alex.

Thank you everyone for trying to help. I just realized that while you replies were helpful, it's kind of silly to expect you to give me recommendations that will be aligned with my own ideas of how I like my sound and I am not in any position to appreciate them to the fullest. I can't listen to these system before buying and trying to understand the character of the sound of each of these systems from public reviews turned out to be a bit more difficult than I expected.

See this post that explains my journey

I guess I need to get back to the learning bench and start reading about signature sounds of different brands, texture vs details, airiness vs brightness, bass accuracy vs punchiness. Too bad I can't register to a workshop where I could listen to the best of Rotel, NAD, Audiolab, Onkyo, Sansui, etc. from 80s, 90s, 2000s, etc.. I still might ask a few silly questions in separate threads, but hey, if you have more great ideas of what I might be looking for, feel free to add it here. I will read and learn something about that system too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123