+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help for the colour blind

I'm Dennis.

Bi' of a lark init?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you are reading the order of the bands as brown, orange, black, black and brown, then that would be 13 Ohm, 0%. What then would the "fourth" brown band imply?
    If read from the end of closest bands, ResistorKit says 130Ohms +/-1%. It has 4/5/6 band reading on it.

Definitely measure this one I'd have said.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

But that supposes you know how to read a five band resistor. With the exception of resistors which have a low temperature coefficient, ALL the resistors I have ever seen use four bands only. It is much easier for me to measure the resistance than to try and find a suitable website to interpret the colour coding.

I have scores of 0.1% tolerance resistors and they have the resistance value written on them.

(BTW why isn't there any marking on the body which denoted the power rating of a resistor? )
    Barry

I'm BigBobJoylove.

You know, I have NO idea why they just don't print the resistance and tolerance on each resistor? Why rely on multiple and ambiguous colour stripes that could easily be misinterpreted?

If it was stamped on there'd be no abiguity. It's not like it could be read incorrectly in another language.

On the Mac logic board resistors there are no markings (frankly they're way too small), so one has to rely on testing and the circuit diagrams. No pissing around with coloured stripes.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    You know, I have NO idea why they just don't print the resistance and tolerance on each resistor? Why rely on multiple and ambiguous colour stripes that could easily be misinterpreted?
    I used to ask my dad that when he was building radios and amps over sixty years ago and he didn't know.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I'd guess because the numbers would wear off or bits of them would wear off and a 7 becomes a 1, 3 becomes 2 and so on.

At least with the bands they can take some wear but still be readable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

If it was stamped on there'd be no abiguity. It's not like it could be read incorrectly in another language.

On the Mac logic board resistors there are no markings (frankly they're way too small), so one has to rely on testing and the circuit diagrams. No pissing around with coloured stripes.
    I thought surface mount resistors had their values marked as a three digit code. In this system the first two or three digits indicate the numerical resistance value of the resistor and the last digit gives a multiplier. The number of the last digit indicates the power of ten by which to multiply the given resistor value. Thus, for example: "450" = 45Ω x 100 is 45Ω; "104" = 10Ω x 104 is 100KΩ .

Sometimes the multiplier "R" (=1) or "K" (= 103) is used as a decimal point, thus 3R3 = 3.3Ω and 2K7 = 2.7KΩ
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234