+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital coax cable - plug/OCC?

I'm Chris.

Default Digital coax cable - plug/OCC?

Hi guys, couple of questions here.

How much difference does the plug on a digital (coax) interconnect make? Logically it's job is simply to lock onto the socket but would using pure copper aid with signal transfer or is digital signal just that?

Also what are peoples thoughts on single core vs stranded wire for digital signal transfer? Single core would logically do the job better (to me), but I'm sure there are many factors to consider here like bad RF rejection/capacitance/impedance etc. Assuming both cables have good foil/Teflon jackets etc.

I'm wondering if it's worth taking a punt on a nice OCC 75ohm cable with some pure copper plugs, but may not be any upgrade over my QED reference 40 cable.

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Linn LP12 (ASAK MC) - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X12 - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC - SONCOZ SGD1
    - Speakers: Cambridge Acoustic "Grand Master Evolution" - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303 - Custom Pre -
    - Source: Audio Technica LP5 - Arcam RPhono - Pioneer N-30K - Topping E30 -
    - Speakers: Klipsch KG4.5 - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Grant.

75-ohm coaxial cable is norm.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 -

**Ive studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**

"An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"

It was the weakest practical joke since Cardinal Wolsey got his nob out at Hampton Court and stood at the end of the passage pretending to be a door!

I like my whisky old and my women young. "Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak!"

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    75-ohm coaxial cable is norm.
    Yes sorry should have qualified that Grant, definitely of 75 ohm variety, just curious about plug type and material for signal transfer having that much effect on sound quality.

Found my basic Canare 75ohm cables pretty good but upgraded to some QED reference ones, they are certainly better all round.
    - Source: Linn LP12 (ASAK MC) - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X12 - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC - SONCOZ SGD1

I'm Barrington.

I found that the Nordost Odin Reference 75OHM Digital Coaxial Cable considerably outperforms the QED, individual experiences may differ.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mogami-Digi...QT6CSATFJW36E3

i use this and its very good for price. you can get it with a bnc as well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 -

**Ive studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**

"An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"

It was the weakest practical joke since Cardinal Wolsey got his nob out at Hampton Court and stood at the end of the passage pretending to be a door!

I like my whisky old and my women young. "Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whisky, and a dog to eat the rare steak!"

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by mayebaza View Post
    I found that the Nordost Odin Reference 75OHM Digital Coaxial Cable considerably outperforms the QED, individual experiences may differ.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Nice, that looks very nice indeed.

Interesting to hear you found sonic benefits.

I was also considering going to AES connection from streamer to DAC with full balanced signal from source file to speakers but I'm not convinced it's worth it . . . .

+ Reply to Thread