+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Denafrips terminator 2 dac

I'm Karl.

Ok so just a quick update now I approach the 150hrs mark.

My vinyl has been spanked

Just don’t think my cartridge is able to dig this level of retrieval out .

I might need a substation upgrade to get this level of performance.

My god what an eye opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Ok so just a quick update now I approach the 150hrs mark.

My vinyl has been spanked

Just don’t think my cartridge is able to dig this level of retrieval out .

I might need a substation upgrade to get this level of performance.

My god what an eye opener
    But what about the musicality though? I got suckered into the detail retrieval bit for quite some years when I started designing DACs, and lost a lot of valuable time doing only that. But when I came up with the Dorado sound enhancer I realized that I had given musicality very little consideration. I don't just want to hear the guitarist touching the strings. I want to hear and feel the emotion of him/her doing that. Are you experiencing the same emotions from the DAC as you get from your vinyl? Or is your style of music not really into emotions, but more geared towards raw delivery?

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    But what about the musicality though? I got suckered into the detail retrieval bit for quite some years when I started designing DACs, and lost a lot of valuable time doing only that. But when I came up with the Dorado sound enhancer I realized that I had given musicality very little consideration. I don't just want to hear the guitarist touching the strings. I want to hear and feel the emotion of him/her doing that. Are you experiencing the same emotions from the DAC as you get from your vinyl? Or is your style of music not really into emotions, but more geared towards raw delivery?
    It has bags of musicality

And it’s amazing how analogue this dac sounds . It’s not like many others I’ve heard . Only a handful of dacs I’ve heard do what this does . It has a smoothness and vinyl like presentation but without taking away from music.

Some dacs are voiced one way or another, either warm or ohyper detailed which can be almost cold and sharp but this has something special where it manages to tick all of the boxes . It has lots of detail but without being harsh, it has tremendous bass weight without feeling unnatural and it’s completely engaging. It keeps you locked into your seat wondering how the hell it sounds so good . Not an ounce of fatigue or glare

No wonder you can’t find any bad reviews about these new terminators .

I’ve been a hardcore vinyl man for ever but this has completely changed my perception of digital . It’s that good . It does everything my vinyl does, and some but without all the faff . Put it this way , I usually play a couple of records a night and the only records I’ve played all week was to compare against the terminator and they got shown the door . The rest of my playback has been digital and I’m not feeling like I’m missing anything at all

It’s bittersweet for me really as I’ve spent the last 5-10 years really getting my vinyl setup to a high a level as I can afford and this dac has come and trampled on it In the space of a week .

Hopefully my phono upgrades and a new cart can close the gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Alan.

Stanley if you haven't heard a modern R-2R dac you are not realising how analogue they are now sounding.

Denafrips, Musician, Soekris (with the right psu) are all now spanking vinyl playback. I can only imagine how good the sound is that Karl is hearing, as his dac is very near TOTL.
    I have a Musician Pegasus and that is lacking nothing in musicality and emotion in the playback.

Good one Karl. My vinyl has taken a step closer now I have a new TT, the performance of my Dynavector cart is now being shown.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I have a not so poor customer who bought an expensive R-2-R DAC in April. He has been using a modded SEG for a year now. Several weeks of listening to the two in a system costing upwards of £30K has shown the R-2-R to have an edge in some areas, but a terrible disappointment in others. The main downfall was its playback of high resolution files of 96kHz and 192kHz. It was brilliant at 44.1kHz though.
    On an equal note, a well known and respected former member of this forum bought a SEG for a laugh just last month. His speakers alone cost more than 100x than the SEG. I won't mention the brand name of his speakers and amp since that might give his identity away. He emailed me to say that its a keeper and has commissioned the design of a high-end no cost spared power supply to power the Dorado.

I'm Martin.

Compared R-2R DAC to two Delta Sigma DACs last month. Did not hear any lack of musicality or emotion, did not hear any added musicality or emotion.

They were, to all intents and purposes, almost identical in performance. The very slight differences were only occasional and were nothing to do with musicality or emotion and may well not even exist at all outside of my own perception.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

ive heard people say delta sigma sabre dacs are glarey.. ive not experienced this. The one in my Pathos is very good..and only a relatively old type now.. ESS sabre 9018K2M. its implemented well and the whole machine is a treat to use(as it should be at its price.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

I've had 3, struggled with 2 but the third one (Breeze Audio, using original ESS9018 non k2m) is a keeper. No sign of the digital glare from the first two. I guess it's a matter of implementation.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    His speakers alone cost more than 100x than the SEG. I won't mention the brand name of his speakers and amp since that might give his identity away.
    You can rule me out anyway

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

Default Streamer with Denafrips DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    >>>snip<<<

Next I will be looking at a streamer to extract some more magic from it . Possibly the nova fidelity X50D. That seems to tick all of the boxes.
    >>>snip<<<
    Just a thought...

With the Terminator 2 (Plus?) already in the system, is the NF X50D overkill? I have a Bluesound Node 2i (new model available - gen 3 / N130) hooked up to a Denafrips Pontus II and the overall setup has made listening to music the most enjoyable I can ever recall. Doubtless the amp is a factor but I'm still impressed by the Node 2i / Pontus II.

If the ripper is important, then the Node (gen 3) isn't going to cut it but, otherwise, if there is sufficient connectivity, it's a snip at £550ish. The app (BluOS) isn't perfect but it is decent and, usually, reliable. I previously had a NAD C 658 (pre / streamer / DAC) but much prefer the Node 2i / Pontus II combo.

End of "just a thought...".
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123