+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot Sale 2021

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Principle Of Moments' is my favourite Planty album.

Good haul that except for the Smiths obvs
    Never heard 'Principle', though obviously I know (and like) 'Big Log'. Gonna put it on shortly. As for the Smiths CD - I'm really sorry, I have no defence.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Now that we have come out of "Lockdown 2", the boot sales are up and running again. Went to two on Sunday, but there was nothing of interest to me, and the weather was poor.

However yesterday we went to a large bootsale about 20 miles away, and one which tends to sell more 'bric-a-brac' (and that means records!). Got there about 06:00, and already the "vinyl vultures" were swooping down. I left them to haggle over £80 Pink Floyd bootlegs, and came back when they had gone on to molest another seller.

I rarely buy anything other than classical recording at bootsales, as I find they are usually in much, much better condition than other genres. Sure enough, there was nothing of interest to me - apart from a mint (unplayed) 2 LP set of Dylan Thomas's "Under Milk Wood" on Decca Argo.

I have been after this recording for a while now. It has been played on radio a few times in the past, and I once recorded a performance using my Ferrograph on 1200' of tape. Unfortunately the tape ran out about 5 minutes before the play finished! Years later I bought a copy of the play on CD, but enjoyable though it is, it was not the original version with the late Richard Burton as narrator.

Now I have a mint copy, and all for £2!

Later in the morning, I looked at the wares of another record seller, and although there was nothing of interest to me, I was amused to see many LPs of which I have copies, selling for £30! My partner keeps telling me to "buy to sell", but I'm not interested. Any LP I buy is for my own use, and my own listening pleasure.
    Interesting... And a good find. I watched the film recently (after having never heard of it before), and it's safe to say it was somewhat of a 'curio'!

I rather enjoyed it though, simply because it was utterly bizarre, and in many parts hugely funny, although I suspect some of that humour was unintentional

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting... And a good find. I watched the film recently (after having never heard of it before), and it's safe to say it was somewhat of a 'curio'!

I rather enjoyed it though, simply because it was utterly bizarre, and in many parts hugely funny, although I suspect some of that humour was unintentional

Marco.
    Dylan Thomas wrote Under Milk Wood as a "play for voices". It was not meant to be stage, let alone filmed. I'm not sure, but it might have been commissioned specifically by the BBC; certainly the LP set on Decca Argo were the original broadcast tapes transcribed to disc.

I have seen the film, but the screenplay doesn't do the "play" justice. Sometimes it is much better to form images of the characters in your head, than rely on visual prompts.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Car boot sale this morning I bagged:

Vinyl: UB40 "Signing off", Joe Walsh "But Seriously, Folks". Both stated as NM, though I would describe as Ex+. 10 quid for the two.

CD: Suzanne Vega "Solitude Standing", Tori Amos "Little Earthquakes", Kate Bush "The Whole Story", and Corinne Bailey Rae. 50p each

Not sure if I'll like the Corinne Bailey Rae, but £12 for everything still feels like a result

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

'Signing Off' is a top album.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Signing Off' is a top album.
    Yeah, I don't know why it's taken me so long to get it. I bought 'Food for Thought' single when it came out Easter 1980, and really liked it. I'll give a spin tomorrow, make it a British reggae (Breggae?) session by following it with Steel Pulse 'Handsworth Revolution' which is also a top album imo.

T'other system:

A/V:

Bought four CDs and three DVDs yesterday. Total expenditure £3.50.
    Barry

Steve - I have Corrine Bailey Rae's first disc, and I like it.

Some might think it a bit 'twee', but at 50p you won't have lost much if you don't like it.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I've got that, it's not bad.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Steve - I have Corrine Bailey Rae's first disc, and I like it.

Some might think it a bit 'twee', but at 50p you won't have lost much if you don't like it.
    Yes, that is the one.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast