+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot Sale 2021

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Boot Sale 2021

Now that we have come out of "Lockdown 2", the boot sales are up and running again. Went to two on Sunday, but there was nothing of interest to me, and the weather was poor.

However yesterday we went to a large bootsale about 20 miles away, and one which tends to sell more 'bric-a-brac' (and that means records!). Got there about 06:00, and already the "vinyl vultures" were swooping down. I left them to haggle over £80 Pink Floyd bootlegs, and came back when they had gone on to molest another seller.

I rarely buy anything other than classical recording at bootsales, as I find they are usually in much, much better condition than other genres. Sure enough, there was nothing of interest to me - apart from a mint (unplayed) 2 LP set of Dylan Thomas's "Under Milk Wood" on Decca Argo.

I have been after this recording for a while now. It has been played on radio a few times in the past, and I once recorded a performance using my Ferrograph on 1200' of tape. Unfortunately the tape ran out about 5 minutes before the play finished! Years later I bought a copy of the play on CD, but enjoyable though it is, it was not the original version with the late Richard Burton as narrator.

Now I have a mint copy, and all for £2!

Later in the morning, I looked at the wares of another record seller, and although there was nothing of interest to me, I was amused to see many LPs of which I have copies, selling for £30! My partner keeps telling me to "buy to sell", but I'm not interested. Any LP I buy is for my own use, and my own listening pleasure.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Not much not point buying to resell when you're buying at top dollar. Where's the margin?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I don't buy at "top dollar". Anything I buy is usually valued (according to Amazon) at 10 - 15x of what I pay for it. That's why my partner suggested I "buy to sell".

But as I mentioned, I'm only interested in personal purchases. And they have to be in near perfect condition as well.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Sounds like a lot of your purchases are records someone has bought but never played, or played just enough to decide they don't really like it. Great for those of us with "unusual" tastes I've given up looking for vinyl at boot fairs, it just pees me off seeing how badly some folk treat their records but still expect them to have value.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

I did say I'm not bothering with car boot vinyl any more, but couldn't resist a very clean and tidy "Man Who Sold The World" for a tenner.

Also got "The Beast of Alice Cooper", Eric Clapton "Unplugged" and The Cranberries "Everybody Else is Doing it" CDs for 50p each I've had worse mornings down there.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

This morning's car boot haul

CD: Tom Petty Into the Great Wide Open, Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman, The Smiths The Queen is Dead.

Vinyl; Carlos Santana/Mahavishnu John Mclaughlin Love Devotion Surrender, Robert Plant Principle of Moments, and Shaken 'n' Stirred.

All very nice condition, Robert Plant stuff almost like new. All for £13.50. That'll do for me

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Nice.

I love the song 'Tea for the Tillerman'. Just over a minute of songwriting perfection.

I'm Martin.

'Principle Of Moments' is my favourite Planty album.

Good haul that except for the Smiths obvs
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Good haul there Pigmy - save for all that Mahavishnu John Mclaughlin nonsense.

The only thing I bought recently was some 'art house' foreign language films (DVDs), bought at the last minute as the seller was packing up to leave. Oh and a charger for my phone.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Nice.

I love the song 'Tea for the Tillerman'. Just over a minute of songwriting perfection.
    I played this in the car coming back, as I thought it might be more 'Anita-friendly' than the Smiths. Wasn't expecting much, but really liked it. I see more of his output on the horizon

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast