+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont get stressed if you think your system isn't "Good Enough"...

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Plus, to be quite honest, I don't really need anyone's help when making choices or decisions with hi-fi, especially that of so-called 'experts' I don't know from Adam…..
    Eh? What?

What have I done now?!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A slip of the tongue methinks.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    no of course not, listening and a bit of practical experiment is always necessary, measurements are just a guide to weed out the tat. I don't find subjective reviews do that.
    To an extent I agree, but I've never found anything more than my own judgement (or that of someone I know and trust) needed as a guide to 'weed out the tat'. I certainly agree though that any genuinely good gear will measure well, often simply just as a by-product of good judgement.

There's the odd exception if someone recommends something to me I might take a punt on it without looking at the engineering. Like the Audiolab transport, I bought that on Gaz's recco as I know he's the sort of bloke who wouldn't have it for five minutes if it wasn't up to the job.
    Agreed, and there a few more like him on here whose discerning ears I'd pay far more attention to than any specs or measurements.

ironically good sounding systems - that is good sounding with all music, not just showcase recordings - always measure well so all roads lead to Rome eventually.
    As I said, I *completely* agree with that. However, the way I go about it is simply to listen to equipment that sounds stunning (trust my ears), and invariably it will also measure well. I don't select gear, based on notionally good specs and expect it to sound great, as often it doesn't.

Now, given what I said earlier that might sound like a contradiction, but for me the best audio designers not only get their kit to measure well (the easy bit), but in the final analysis, VOICE it to sound great (i.e musical, not sterile), by using their ears to tweak/finely adjust the circuit, the effect of which often isn't measurable, but which results in a no-brainer better sound.

It's a process often dismissed by 'measurists', IMO, to their detriment, as that's often where the 'magic' happens!

I've heard plenty of average-sounding set-ups put together by the 'just trust your ears' philosophy too so I'm not sure there is any relationship between the two different approaches and how the system turns out.
    Yes, I agree, but that philosophy only works if your ears are any good!!

And there's the personal preference element too. I recall at Scalford one year I thought there was one particular 'objectivist' system that was probably best in show but you weren't keen on it. Sure you recall which one and who it belonged to.
    Was it Serge's? If so, I can't remember why I didn't like it, although normally when we're together we tend to agree on these things.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Eh? What?

What have I done now?!
    Hahaha... Tis but a saying, dear boy, although some of your likes and dislikes in audio arguably call into question your level of discernment!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I was struck by his philosophical position, he did make some valid points about ambition and use of time. But I was concerned about what seemed to be an immense amount of material construction executed to the n'th degree, and his bottomless memory of all the material contributions, like an accountants audit. He doesn't seem to eulogise on music as much as on the whole enterprise of construction.

How much he personally put into the speaker design was not made clear, and I'd be interested to know who did the calculations and design procedures.

I would find it easy to think that this wealthy man has just applied 'pissing contest' rules to achieve the best he can, and that he perhaps has neglected the passionate commitment that Lawrence Dickie has, and which has, and does, drive his study and creativity in producing Vivid speakers.

The decor does not appeal to me at all, but does show much material expenditure, perhaps nouveau riche in expression.

This reminds me of my relationship with my Hi-Fi friend who has and income many many times greater than mine, and who visits bringing his latest toy in order to show me how and what should be done. Of course it is easy to buy good sound; I bet Gates would if it interested him, but for me it is trying to do the best I can with limited resources, and by paying attention to the control and ordination of resource usage. He recently appeared with the best Benchmark stuff.

I liken my friend to a man who knows everyone at a racecourse, and asks for tips from those in the know, whereas I find a horse which is cheap but which has potential, and work and train it to try to achieve. He of course wins the race, but I've had a more fulfilling journey, and I've developed in many ways.
    Great post, Dennis. We're on the same page with many of the points you've raised, but especially the bit in bold. ultimately, he's not really my kind of guy and strikes me as being more of a 'I can do it because I can afford it' type, regardless of whether what he's done is actually necessary or beneficial to what he's trying to achieve.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Does he live in a Pottery Barn catalogue?

What's Pottery Barn?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Robin.

Lol - 'unwell' in what way

Seems he has ALS which is no joke as a progressively degenerative disease.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I see... Is this what you're referring to: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354022

If so, how would you know - are you a doctor?

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What's Pottery Barn?
    Rob? Anyone? Never heard of it.

Also, Macca, any thoughts on post 23?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast