+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reisong A10 Tube Rolling

I'm steve.

Default Reisong A10 Tube Rolling

Just wondering if there are any other Reisong A10 users on the forum who can give me some advice on tube rolling, particularly for the EL34 power tubes, I've already changed the pre tubes to good effect to Voshkod Rockets. Ideally don't want used tubes or any that are too expensive, I've seen some EL34s on ebay for as much as £150 each
    Really looking to get a bit more bite at the top end.
    Would also be interested to know if there's any benefit to changing the rectifier tube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Hi there,

Not this amplifier specifically but I've had quite a lot of similarly configured EL34 amps.

I think the rectifiers are pretty poor in standard form on these. Some Chinese tubes are okay but quite a lot are not.

I would go for one of these as a rectifier (rectifiers can make a positive difference, a lot in my opinion). I'm fairly sure it's a direct replacement for yours but I'm not completely up to date with the Chinese variants and their equivalents so worth double checking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274447239...sAAOSwGcpfJuFi

As for EL34 tubes, I was actually really impressed with most of the Psvane 'cheap' EL34's but if you wanted to try something a bit better these are universally liked pretty much, getting very rare these days too.

A pair for £85.00 is okay these days (although they did used to be a lot cheaper) . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392981010...QAAOSwAE9fiXAF
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm steve.

Default Reisong A10 Tube Rolling

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Hi there,

Not this amplifier specifically but I've had quite a lot of similarly configured EL34 amps.

I think the rectifiers are pretty poor in standard form on these. Some Chinese tubes are okay but quite a lot are not.

I would go for one of these as a rectifier (rectifiers can make a positive difference, a lot in my opinion). I'm fairly sure it's a direct replacement for yours but I'm not completely up to date with the Chinese variants and their equivalents so worth double checking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274447239...sAAOSwGcpfJuFi

As for EL34 tubes, I was actually really impressed with most of the Psvane 'cheap' EL34's but if you wanted to try something a bit better these are universally liked pretty much, getting very rare these days too.

A pair for £85.00 is okay these days (although they did used to be a lot cheaper) . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392981010...QAAOSwAE9fiXAF
    I've been checking out equivalents for the rectifier tube and came up with the 5AR4 recommended in a thread on the Audiokharma forum, checked it out on Watford Valves website and they recommend the Sovtek variant as being superior to the Chinese versions, priced at £17.50+vat. Think I may try that first before thinking about the power tubes, mine came with PSVane EL34s..

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I've been checking out equivalents for the rectifier tube and came up with the 5AR4 recommended in a thread on the Audiokharma forum, checked it out on Watford Valves website and they recommend the Sovtek variant as being superior to the Chinese versions, priced at £17.50+vat. Think I may try that first before thinking about the power tubes, mine came with PSVane EL34s..

Okay, fair enough however if it can take a 5AR4/GZ34 then I have been very impressed with the TAD 5AR4/GZ34. It is nearly as good as My Mullard GZ34 which is pretty much the best you can get in that position.

Sovtek should be reliable though.

Like I say the Psvane's have actually always impressed me especially for a 'stock' tube.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Okay, fair enough however if it can take a 5AR4/GZ34 then I have been very impressed with the TAD 5AR4/GZ34. It is nearly as good as My Mullard GZ34 which is pretty much the best you can get in that position.

Sovtek should be reliable though.

Like I say the Psvane's have actually always impressed me especially for a 'stock' tube.
    The TAD that you mention is only slightly dearer the the Sovtek so I may give it a try.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I would go with the Sovtek 5AR4/GZ34 over the chinese, or JJ version, used them a lot over the years, in all sorts including my own amps, usualy very reliable, and good sonics etc.
    As for EL34, if you can strech your budget, go for some original winged C Svetlana EL34, they are getting hard to find now, but well worth the effort.
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Lawrence.

I'm very happy with these in my Ming Da pre but guess they aren't the same as you need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5U4G-5U3C...-/313429723012

+ Reply to Thread