+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital File Types

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    24 Bit Flac is the gold standard for me,

Bitrate's good 44K and above.
    Neglagable differences above 44K but they are there...but 24bit vs 16bit makes a discernible difference imo.
    Do/can you obtain 24bit from physical media or Hi-Res downloads only?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Grant.

i have a good phono stage that can digitize and send it to a pc for tweaking and saving onto hd. A good vinyl copy program like vinyl studio pro. the stage can also play the digitized vinyl wave on fly staight to your amp shld you wish to.. the program is non distructive so you can always revert back a change you decide you dont like.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Thanks for the article. It more or less confirms my experience of file types. I download and store in Flac, and they're playable in high-res on my laptop and phone, both through Foobar.

I didn't know that Flac files are compressed though, yet lossless. I thought this was a contradiction in terms. And it puzzles me that the smaller file sizes with Flac - i.e. less data - can play at 24bit, whereas the larger WAV files only play 16bit cd quality. I like the sound of both, but if pushed I'd say the WAV files played from a USB stick sound marginally better than Flac files played from the laptop. The wonders of science!
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    Thanks for the article. It more or less confirms my experience of file types. I download and store in Flac, and they're playable in high-res on my laptop and phone, both through Foobar.

I didn't know that Flac files are compressed though, yet lossless. I thought this was a contradiction in terms. And it puzzles me that the smaller file sizes with Flac - i.e. less data - can play at 24bit, whereas the larger WAV files only play 16bit cd quality. I like the sound of both, but if pushed I'd say the WAV files played from a USB stick sound marginally better than Flac files played from the laptop. The wonders of science!
    I've honestly confused my ears before trying to determine the difference between the two and as sound quality goes, I've struggled to hear the difference between FLAC and WAV, I just like the piece of mind knowing that WAV is uncompressed.

If you have experimented and you're happy with your current system and way of listening then I don't think anyone else can be tell you're doing it wrong.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Edward.

Ages ago I did quite some experimenting to see if I heard any difference between wav and flac. Ripped various tracks from various CDs and then had someone (swmbo) play wav and flac versions of same track in a random order, not telling me which was playing but keeping note of what I said I thought was 'better'. No proof whatsoever that one format was better - at times the results were contradictory.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A FLAC and a WAV file of the same recording are identical. You could make a recording in FLAC, convert it to WAV, convert it back to FLAC and at all points of this the file will be identical to the original.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    FLAC has the exact same info though. Both formats are lossless.
    So does AIFF. All three are lossless.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    A FLAC and a WAV file of the same recording are identical. You could make a recording in FLAC, convert it to WAV, convert it back to FLAC and at all points of this the file will be identical to the original.
    indeed, ive done this and they are to my ear perfect each time. ive seen traces that prove it too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post

I didn't know that Flac files are compressed though, yet lossless. I thought this was a contradiction in terms. And it puzzles me that the smaller file sizes with Flac - i.e. less data - can play at 24bit, whereas the larger WAV files only play 16bit cd quality.
    You can compress a file two ways:

Lossless compression - file takes up less disk space than the same file uncompressed but no information is lost
    Lossy compression - information is removed from the file so it takes up less disk space.

Neither should be confused with dynamic compression which is a completely different thing

Bit rate is not a measure of 'quality' as such. The higher the bit rate the higher the potential dynamic range that can be recorded or played back. 16 bits is a massive dynamic range, in practice it is far more than is required for playback. By comparison vinyl reaches about 12 bits.

Many amplifiers and DACs are unable to reach 16 bits due to noise and distortion levels. The best possible case is 21 bits before the noise intrinsic in the components dominates. Only a handful of DACs manage to reach 21 bits in practice.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Cheers Martin. I knew they're be a devilishly complex explanation. It's good to hear that the enjoyment of music can't be reduced to bits of data - or maybe you're going to tell me it can!
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast