+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vet Fees

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post

As someone with 2 horses, 3 dogs (although one has been missing for over a year now) and 6 cats we are our own insurers. When they ask me 'Are you Insured?' I just say 'No, we are doing it for love'.
    I don't know whether you have checked, but over eighty dogs have been recovered from a travellers site in Ipswich and lots haven't been claimed yet - it is thought that they could be from all over the country and no one is sure how long they have been stolen

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/19/galle...ners-14435532/
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

I wish there was a like button so I could registered my thanks for your posts. We have now sailed over 200 signatures and I will be giving it seven days before I write to my MP. Someone has to act.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    This week, I have been charged £920 by my vet for an x-ray. The explanation I was offered was that Blue was a larger dog and that she needed hospitalisation. Now, both of those explanations don't ring true - she weighs 30kg so less than a Labrador, for example, and the hospitalisation meant just staying in the vet from morning until evening, as is normal for an x-ray. This led to me looking into the issue and finding that in the last five years, many practices have increased their fees by upto 5x. As a consequence, I started a petition for a regulatory body in the industry. If you also think this is an issue, I would be grateful if you would sign and share my petition:

http://chng.it/wk6gfTJxjL
    How is Blue Geoff??..Is she OK ?
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    How is Blue Geoff??..Is she OK ?
    Yes - a liile arthritis and tendon mineralisation. She's 30kg of pure athlete who sprints, leaps, twists and turns so she has hurt herself a little but nothing major.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm guy.

My previous Staffie had, what looked like, the start of arthritis - Tesco glucosamine for dogs (pet food aisle), was very reasonable price and seemed to be very effective, only problem was finding ways to stop her spitting the pill out (ended up crushing it in to her food)
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm John.

There seems to be a similar problem in human medicine, namely an inability to diagnose anything without the use of expensive high tech machinery. My wife is convinced that doctors (and presumably vets too having read this) in days gone by could pretty well diagnose you from your gait, pallor, eyes, tongue and a brief physical examination. It seems we have gone backwards instead of forwards in regards to care despite technology.
    £920 to be told your dog has a little arthritis doesn’t seem right.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    There seems to be a similar problem in human medicine, namely an inability to diagnose anything without the use of expensive high tech machinery.
    Having seen the latest tech look inside and 3D model my son's heart, and having found a hole in it and watched a piece of tissue make it's way across his ventricle and seal that hole over several months, I think I rather trust advanced, modern technology in healthcare.

There's some ingenious devices out there that see far more than the colour of someone's tongue.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Having seen the latest tech look inside and 3D model my son's heart, and having found a hole in it and watched a piece of tissue make it's way across his ventricle and seal that hole over several months, I think I rather trust advanced, modern technology in healthcare.

There's some ingenious devices out there that see far more than the colour of someone's tongue.
    Of course Rob, the equipment is fantastic and life saving and to be applauded. I was thinking of simpler everyday conditions that should be within a doctor’s remit to diagnose. A lot of folk are suffering unnecessarily for years from stuff that should be spotted straight away and dealt with quickly.

There are direct parallels with pet care. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me to get a diagnosis of a little arthritis for a lot less than £900.

Hope your son’s OK, worrying time.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Of course Rob, the equipment is fantastic and life saving and to be applauded. I was thinking of simpler everyday conditions that should be within a doctor’s remit to diagnose. A lot of folk are suffering unnecessarily for years from stuff that should be spotted straight away and dealt with quickly.

There are direct parallels with pet care. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me to get a diagnosis of a little arthritis for a lot less than £900.

Hope your son’s OK, worrying time.
    Much of that is due to several factors. The more we know about medicine the less a gp knows. and another biggie is that if a gp misdiagnoses, for whatever reason the will be sued in this blame culture world we live in
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Exactly that. Why risk it for the simple stuff? Plus there's a lot more that's known in general now than years back, with more discovered each day. Much better to rely on state of the art tech that's completely objective, than a hunch based on experience. With the tools it makes issues much more findable - and earlier, which is also a benefit.

A client of mine is a retired ophthalmologist. His forte was lens replacement surgery. A colleague of his invented a laser based machine that could remove as little as three microns of tissue from the retina without disturbing the lens or cornea. Try doing that with a scalpel!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast