+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Tannoy or not to be?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Steve Toy's system with Copper amp and Tannoy Kensignton GRs:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The speakers I heard looked like these:

Somewhat larger and equally 'Edwardian' in styling.
    Barry

They're not Kingdom Royals, Barry, these are: https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/tannoy...AaApoSEALw_wcB

What you've posted is a pic of a Westminster Royal GR: https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/tannoy...QaAnJsEALw_wcB

In the right system and room, I'd expect the latter to sound better that the former (at least to my tastes), as it's a true (sole) dual-concentric

For me, as soon as you start augmenting the design with a separate bass driver, it's no longer a proper DC - and won't reproduce the revered (among enthusiasts) 'point source effect' like one either.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Phil.

Would not mind hearing some Kensington but for now the tannoy Eaton legacy are staying put . 3 years now and they just sound so 'right ' . Balanced, superb imaging and just a lovely non fatiguing musical sound

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    They're not Kingdom Royals, Barry, these are: https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/tannoy...AaApoSEALw_wcB

What you've posted is a pic of a Westminster Royal GR: https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/tannoy...QaAnJsEALw_wcB

In the right system and room, I'd expect the latter to sound better that the former (at least to my tastes), as it's a true (sole) dual-concentric

For me, as soon as you start augmenting the design with a separate bass driver, it's no longer a proper DC - and won't reproduce the revered (among enthusiasts) 'point source effect' like one either.

Marco.
    OK - I didn't take much notice of the name, only of their appearance, which were I assume were as shown, but with the grills fitted.

Not sure I would want to pay £52K for either of them.
    Barry

I'm Edward.

Apropos Tannoy DCs being driven via valve vs ss. Coincidentally I switch over last week from a Radford 25 to a Neurochrome 686 driving the Berkeleys. Both front ended by a 6SN7GT valve preamp. Difficult to verbalise the difference. Both highly detailed, huge soundstage, textual richness and tons of dynamic range. Both very fast with transients etc. I guess the difference would be that the Raddy has a slightly more appealing midtone whilst the 686 has a greater sense of reserve power. But honestly not big night/day differences. Other people's mileage may vary of course.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

The 686 is exceptionally good though. Plenty of clunker solid states you could swap in and be horrified
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

I've had my Golds hooked up to my Quad 306 for the last few months... What can I say. Very pleased with the sound.

I'd like to know what Quad use that others don't.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

Nothing wrong with a 306, Jo. It's a superb little amp - the epitome of 'neutral': seems to add nothing nor take anything away, but not in a boring or soulless way. It just sounds 'right', and at a bargain price! I love mine

Ok, it doesn't have the 'open and airy intimacy', timbral resolution, seductive tonality/timing accuracy, or draws you into the music quite so addictively as the Copper amp, but you only get that (or something approaching it) with amps that truly come into the 'special' category, and usually glowing bottles are involved..

But for the money, the 306 is a really capable little thing and has no annoying or overt character/sonic signature. It just seems to reproduce the signal it's given very faithfully. Only thing, as you've found, is when you use it with the Croft, you've only got a few clicks on the volume control before you're blowing the house down, especially with 95db 15" MGs!

So did you land that Tisbury I recommended, or what other passive device did you settle on for using with the 306?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nothing wrong with a 306, Jo. It's a superb little amp - the epitome of 'neutral': seems to add nothing nor take anything away, but not in a boring or soulless way. It just sounds 'right', and at a bargain price! I love mine

Ok, it doesn't have the 'open and airy intimacy', timbral resolution, seductive tonality/timing accuracy, or draws you into the music quite so addictively as the Copper amp, but you only get that (or something approaching it) with amps that truly come into the 'special' category, and usually glowing bottles are involved..

But for the money, the 306 is a really capable little thing and has no annoying or overt character/sonic signature. It just seems to reproduce the signal it's given very faithfully. Only thing, as you've found, is when you use it with the Croft, you've only got a few clicks on the volume control before you're blowing the house down, especially with 95db 15" MGs!

So did you land that Tisbury I recommended, or what other passive device did you settle on for using with the 306?

Marco.
    Hi Marco.

Totally agree. It's a great little amp.

Yes, I've had the tisbury for a while now. Great little thing. Wouldn't mind trying other passive amps with it too.

Might give it a go with the copper too! Need to get the copper serviced though.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678