+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tannoy Cheviot - New Project

I'm Geoff.

It's a high quality unit!

If you just want something cheap to tide you over, you could consider one of the many Chinese TPA-3116 mini-amps. I had one driving my Cheviots very nicely. There are versions with Bluetooth if that's of use. They sound way better than they have any right to for the money, only one input though. An amp and power supply from a Chinese seller will probably cost less than £40.

Bench test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Wk...=JohnAudioTech
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Myles.

Wow, will check that out later. I offered £100 for the cr-820 but maybe that was too high, I'm not sure.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles-Mojo View Post
    Wow, will check that out later. I offered £100 for the cr-820 but maybe that was too high, I'm not sure.
    Yes that's too high. fifty quid is more like it, assuming it works fine and has no cosmetic issues. There's just no demand out there for old amplifiers like that.

I would rather have the Yamaha than the TPA3116 personally. Sound quality aside at least the Yammie looks 'proper'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Myles.

OK, sent another email with revised offer of £50. If the missus likes the sound of the Cheviot and I restore them so they look in tip top condition I may be able to keep all four.. we'll see in which case I will need two amps.

I'm Myles.

So got two of the Cheviots back off Cooky on Friday and have been blown away with them. So good. I was a bit worse for ware on Friday night and listening to the first War album it was like Eric Burdon was in the room ��

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles-Mojo View Post
    So got two of the Cheviots back off Cooky on Friday and have been blown away with them. So good. I was a bit worse for ware on Friday night and listening to the first War album it was like Eric Burdon was in the room ��
    Good to hear, you realise you are now hooked for life? ;-)

WAR fan too, excellent.

I'm Geoff.

Nice result Miles.

What amp did you end up driving them with?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Myles.

Using the Yamaha Cr-820 which I bought for £50. Like I say.. sounds great to me. Am looking at those Chinese amps though mate as A Bluetooth one for the front room would be great. Needs to earn some cash and probs look after the missus and kids first. Clothes and such nonsense..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123