+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbalanced to Balanced Converter

I'm John.

Might be worth contacting Jez Arkless, I’m sure he could make you something up.

He’s advertising transformers here, just need put in a box with sockets or hardwired with cable.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...-level.252447/

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Seeing the above post, reminded me of the Neutrik range of unbalanced to balanced transformers, like this: https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/di-box/ne...re-transformer, or
    https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Neut...yABEgIjv_D_BwE

A neat and inexpensive solution.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Thanks for all the suggestions but I may have found a simpler solution having come across a post in a different forum which noted that the SP15 is similar to an SP11 in out put arrangement but ARC added balanced output which was derived from the direct and invert RCA output which the SP11 also has. So some custom leads which takes the hot from the direct RCA and the cold form the invert RCA should give me the 2 signals for the balanced output and I presumably can take the ground from any of the RCAs as they are all linked,

was going to post the schematic as way of illustration but cant seem to figure out how to do it and you don't seem to be able to past from cipboard.

Mike

I'm Dan.

That will work just fine. Just be wary of the position of the direct/invert switch.

I'm Phil.

Contact ovlov, he knows all about these I believe

I'm Phil.

I recall when I had ref 5 and rca only monoblocks. I got an esteemed cable maker to make a xlr to rca but it was no good . Had 2 attempts and just got hum

I'm Adrian.

Sorry to jump i on this thread but it is something I have been wondering about, my amp has a balanced input, my Phonostage has RCA unbalance output. Would there be any benefit(sonically) in purchasing an Alice MatchPak and using it between the phonostage and amplifier?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Sorry to jump i on this thread but it is something I have been wondering about, my amp has a balanced input, my Phonostage has RCA unbalance output. Would there be any benefit(sonically) in purchasing an Alice MatchPak and using it between the phonostage and amplifier?
    Does your amp have both an un-balanced (RCA) and a balanced (XLR) input? If so I doubt if adding an extra active stage (the Alice MatchPak) to convert the un-balanced output of your phonostage to a balanced output would make much of a difference in SQ (apart from adding 6dB).
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Starion156 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions but I may have found a simpler solution having come across a post in a different forum which noted that the SP15 is similar to an SP11 in out put arrangement but ARC added balanced output which was derived from the direct and invert RCA output which the SP11 also has. So some custom leads which takes the hot from the direct RCA and the cold form the invert RCA should give me the 2 signals for the balanced output and I presumably can take the ground from any of the RCAs as they are all linked,

was going to post the schematic as way of illustration but cant seem to figure out how to do it and you don't seem to be able to past from cipboard.

Mike
    Yes that will work fine. I believe some Chord electronics have a similar choice of inverting and non-inverting output RCAs.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

https://imgur.com/nKqlJQ0

This is the schematic I was trying to upload earlier assuming it works this time round
    Last edited by Starion156; 13-05-2021 at 14:23. Reason: image not showing so link added

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast