+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbalanced to Balanced Converter

I'm Mike.

Question Unbalanced to Balanced Converter

I have an ARC SP11 mk2 pre and need to hook it up to a pair of ARC Ref 210s. Pre has unbalanced RCA output and the power has balanced xlr input. Ideally I would upgrade the pre but that am stuck with the SP11 for now. ARC says the 210 will not sound good if I just use a cable or adaptor as it needs a true balanced input to work properly. Quoting a significant reduction in power and increase in distortion.

They say this can be solved by using a transformer based unbalanced to balanced converter or isolation unit to generate the balanced signal. The one they recommended is a PI-2RX from Jensen Transformers but they are quite expensive and only available from the US.

I found a UK based company RCH Audio Engineering who do one with similar specs which works out at about half the cost of the Jenson solution after you factor shipping and import duty/tax. It uses a custom wound transformer to RCH's own specifications. Anyone have any experience with these sorts of converter or RCH?

I'm Josie.

Hi.

Get yourself an Alice Matchpak. Brilliant little things. I use one myself.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Mike,

Are you referring to this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8849...active_5&frs=1 ? On paper it has a good specification: I would be interested to know the name of transformer manufacturer who supply RCH.

You can use it between the unbalanced output of your preamp and the balanced input of your power amplifier. You will need a pair of unbalanced cables, terminated with RCA phono connectors at one end and XLR connectors at the other end. Since this will be used with the RCH transformer, I would ask RCH to make up some suitable cables. Their prices seem quite reasonable.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

I have 4 U/B to Bal converters, 2 I have made myself using kits (op-amp based), One which has transformers (on sale in Pro Audio places) and one I got from an Audiojumble that looks identical to the Alice Matchpak but under a different brand. If you can solder then an op-amp based converter is fine....at least to my ears and around £20.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

I'd try the interconnects first before looking at an expensive solution. I use XLR to RCA sometimes there's no noticeable issue, although I appreciate you are wanting to go RCA to XLR.

Even so only cost you a tenner to find out, could save you a fair wedge.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hello Mike,

Are you referring to this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8849...active_5&frs=1 ? On paper it has a good specification: I would be interested to know the name of transformer manufacturer who supply RCH.

You can use it between the unbalanced output of your preamp and the balanced input of your power amplifier. You will need a pair of unbalanced cables, terminated with RCA phono connectors at one end and XLR connectors at the other end. Since this will be used with the RCH transformer, I would ask RCH to make up some suitable cables. Their prices seem quite reasonable.
    Yes Barry I am. It does look good on paper not sure which manufacturer did the winding all I have been able to get form RCH so far is that they are their own design and custom wound to their own specification. How it performs in reality is another matter although I am temped at the price if it does not matter too much as long as the spec are correct.

I know Jensen based units are well regarded but its double the cost by the time you factor shipping and import duty and I can have the RCH in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi.

Get yourself an Alice Matchpak. Brilliant little things. I use one myself.

https://www.alice.co.uk/product/alice-matchpak/

These are active solid-state devices which may use Lundahl transformers. They have a good specification. New, they are £250, but there are several available used for about a fifth of that price. At least there is no ambiguity with the interconects.

I suspect they are made for Alice by the same company who made EMO devices. I have an EMO MC/MM RIAA phonostage which looks of similar construction, is very well made and sounds good.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    https://www.alice.co.uk/product/alice-matchpak/

These are active solid-state devices which may use Lundahl transformers. They have a good specification. New, they are £250, but there are several available used for about a fifth of that price. At least there is no ambiguity with the interconects.

I suspect they are made for Alice by the same company who made EMO devices. I have an EMO MC/MM RIAA phonostage which looks of similar construction, is very well made and sounds good.
    Hi Barry.

I've got to know Paul, the owner of Alice and he's a brilliant chap and still producing and servicing kit.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd try the interconnects first before looking at an expensive solution. I use XLR to RCA sometimes there's no noticeable issue, although I appreciate you are wanting to go RCA to XLR.

I have some x cinema amps which have xlr inputs which I just us an adaptor which I got from Maplin to connect my RCA cables from my AV receiver and they seem to work fine with no issues. But looking at the circuit it is expecting a split signal already I think so not sure that works

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

When using adaptors, or adaptor leads, one side of the balanced connector is shorted out. If the output is balanced, then one half of the output is shorted, which depending on details of the circuit involved, may or may not be a problem. If the input is balanced, then the adaptor will short out one half of the input, which will reduce the sensitivity by 6dB, but ought not cause a problem; however Audio Research think otherwise for their designs.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast