+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are we nearly there yet.......... ?

I'm David.

Default Are we nearly there yet.......... ?

Went into my local HMV for the first time in a year, yesterday.
    Had a 15 minute convo with a stranger about music and gigs, bought Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela on recommendation which turns out to be ace, and caught up with a mate who's very excited about his new guitar.
    It almost made me cry.

Anyone else having any post lockdown wins ?
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Blimey, are HMV still going? Can't be long now for them - they've been dragged back from the brink twice already.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm David.

They do keep clinging to that clifftop and dragging themselves back over the top.
    Not as much fun as a proper indie record store but it's rare not to find a member of staff that can hold their own in a music/movie chat. I kinda like the place.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Steve.

After being closed for more than a year, Dean's Bakery in Preston finally re-opened last week. They are well-known and very popular in Preston, and it looked like they were gone for good. Only two allowed in the shop, so queued outside in the rain. Bought three meat and potato pies, one for my mate and two for me
    Last edited by Pigmy Pony; 08-05-2021 at 22:18.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    They do keep clinging to that clifftop and dragging themselves back over the top.
    Not as much fun as a proper indie record store but it's rare not to find a member of staff that can hold their own in a music/movie chat. I kinda like the place.
    I don't - HMV pushed out all the independent record shops here, that were staffed by very knowledgeable and helpful people. Unlike HMV, who seem to be staffed by students working to pay their way through college and know nothing save the prices: and those are already printed on the CD/LP.

They are also the most difficult to deal with if you have to return a LP due to pressing faults. I avoid them and shop on-line through MusicMagpie and charity outlets such as Oxfam.
    Barry

I'm David.

I'm not gonna defend them too hard. Like you say, big chains are often the death of indies.
    That said, I've had a couple of returns where I've realised I've bought things I already have and never had a problem getting refunded even without the receipt.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    I'm not gonna defend them too hard. Like you say, big chains are often the death of indies.
    That said, I've had a couple of returns where I've realised I've bought things I already have and never had a problem getting refunded even without the receipt.
    Probably as many opinions of HMV customer service as there are HMV employees. Although whenever I went in one they were always too busy to chat.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Although whenever I went in one they were always too busy to chat.
    Trust me, they're currently not too busy to chat.You could probably get them to read a book to you, if you asked nicely.

I'm Steve.

To be fair I only ever got to go in on a Saturday afternoon, so they were always gonna be busy. I very rarely get into town these days, but I wish them well.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

Tomorrow morning I'll be going to my local branch of HMV (Hoarders of Manky Vinyl, aka car boot)

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread