+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Klipsch KG 4.5 with upgrades

I'm Chris.

Default Klipsch KG 4.5 with upgrades

Hi guys,

I'm expecting the arrival of a pair of Klipsch KG 4.5 speakers. They have the Bob Crites upgraded tweeter.

I bought them because:

A) I've never tried a pair of Klipsch's

B) I need a room filling speaker for my lounge area (approx 6X9m) - It has a slight bass 'suck out' around 50-100Hz so I'm kind of hoping the 10" drivers will overcome this!

and

C) If possible I would like to remove the sub from the setup (but will keep if it 'needs' it).

I know there was a thread here a while ago on them but I'm looking for impressions on them and if they are likely to fulfill the above requirements.

Apparently the tweeter upgrade smooths things out and extends frequency response and I have no issue doing a recap if required. The specs to me look good with very good frequency response (36-20khz), so much so that if possible I would like to remove the REL T3 sub I'm currently using in the setup. Although I'm happy to keep it in if necessary.

Partnering equipment can be anything from a 300b SET to a hybrid Class D 50w. I also quite fancy getting another EL34 Triode or UL amplifier at some point, possibly build one of the Chinese kits but use some superior components. I know, I'm a cheap bast***.

Thoughts and advice appreciated as always guys,

Cheers

Chris
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Martin.

Quite an old model isn't it?

Never tried Klipsch myself but been tempted a few times. How big is your room?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Yes I believe they were manufactured from 94-97 but these seem very well looked after and have the desirable tweeter upgrade.

The room is approx 6x9m but I may try them in a smaller space too although I'm aware they are optimal in large spaces.

The consensus seems to be, control the highs (which the tweeter upgrade should do anyway) and match with the right equipment, and you should have a very big sounding speaker with good bass and some horn signature in there too. I do really appreciate a horn done correctly and can't quite stretch to the 'real deal' offerings from Altec/JBL etc, so this could be an 'enabling' speaker into that realm too.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Martin.

Plenty of space for them, should be interesting.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Pics and report shall duly follow....

I'm David.

Have they got lost in the post?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    Have they got lost in the post?
    Haha, no David they have been setup but the rest of my lounge is currently such a state I'm rather embarrassed to show the area in which they reside! I shall indeed update once I screw a couple of storage units together to house some of my 3 year old's toys which currently populate the area, even though I'm sure I've put them elsewhere/thrown them away/convinced him they are 'broken' etc . . . . it's a losing battle.

I'm Shaun.

Had a pair of 3.5's and 4.5's back around 1997 partnered with an Audion 300B SE amp and an Audion Sterling ETSE amp. All I remember about them is that they matched the 300B extremely well but the Sterling wasn't quite so good. The 300B tamed the tweeter sting and gave a seriously good sound from vinyl. Large, huge bass, good stereo image and gorgeous midrange. Only moved on because of Audio Note AZ-2's.

Oh yeah, bloody lovely with jazz, better with modern, electric jazz. I also preferred the 3.5's due to the size of my then room.

I'm Colin.

I had a pair about 4 - 5 years ago , living room is about 8x6 maybe slightly more. I liked them I used an eastern electric with passive pre. I think I also used a witch hat with passive as well. I loved them great speaker

I'm Shaun.

And a real audio bargain at the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast