+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell Club

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default Krell Club

Picked up a KSA 100 MK 1 in very good nick today, very pleased with it. Of course, once I got it home I had to get it's top off for a good going over..

Good job I did, first noticed the Zobel connection on one of the positive speaker posts had come adrift, and whilst I was doing that, noticed that some utter idiot had taken the speaker protection fuses out of circuit. Who the hell does that on an amp with this capability??

Did he think it would sound better or something..

Other than that it looks in great original condition.

Anyone have a service manual?

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

You've been waiting a long time to collect that. Or seems like it anyway.

E-mail Krell, they sent me the schematic for the 50S right away.

You try it out yet?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah been ages mate, just the way it worked out.

Thanks, I'll try Krell. Wasn't going to bother, seller needed a new power switch for the amp a couple of years ago, they weren't interested in helping.

Won't get a chance to try it properly for a while, staying at my girlfriends and don't have any gear here, other than my resistor box and my Ether 2 cans, so will have a listen tomorrow.

Heard it at John's place though, sounded great.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

well it is an old amp, I suppose they ran out of the stock of spare power switches a long time ago.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Possibly. They do still service them though, I'd imagine it's a fairly common service item.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

I didn't realise that they still offered service on them.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

As far as I know they do.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Hope you get her sorted mate, a stonker of a classic amp.
    Bit of fettling it'll be back to its best.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers mate, just a simple soldering job. It sounded great at John's place.

8 hour round trip to get it though..

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast