+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A really nifty little amp

I'm Ian.

Default A really nifty little amp

I discovered this little Fiio A1 portable headphone amp while looking for something to do a better job of driving my Sennheiser ear buds.
    The first thing that surprised me was the size of it, tiny little thing, smaller than a Zippo lighter. It's nicely made and a good, simple layout. It comes with a USB charging cable and two cables to connect it to your source device, one short and one long. It also comes with a plastic belt clip plus a spare one (they are rather flimsy and wouldn't take much to break) and full instructions etc.
    Recharge time is around forty minutes and although the manual states thirteen hours use on one charge the most I've managed is around five hours. It is cable connection only with no facility for Bluetooth or wifi.
    The sound quality was the biggest surprise, clear and totally unstressed but adding the weight and sense of space neither my phone or laptop could manage on their own. Even at higher volume levels it keeps it's head and just gives you enjoyable music without becoming scratchy. Also it's dead quiet, no hum or other background noise. The only negative comment, and it's pretty minor is that if you are blessed with large fingers the buttons are a bit fiddly but you soon get used to it.
    All things considered it's a great little amp, certainly at the very good price of £29.99 from Amazon.

Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Fiio make some cracking devices, in particular their DAPs. I've had a few and they were staggeringly good.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread