Hi guys,

having sold my 'old' tube DAC's recently I thought I'd take a punt on something a little different. Fully hand built by a German (so signal paths are efficient!) and using nice matched components.

It's a simple implementation of a TDA 1543 chip with a pair of Telefunken C3M tubes in the output stage. It uses a pair of Talema transformers for independent digital and analogue sections, which is nice. What I assume is running the analogue section does get a bit warm though. Some nice Phillips power caps in there too in a very fetching blue which matches the transformers. All very well put together in a rather neat wooden box. Certainly among the 'prettier' DAC's if there is such a thing.

It's not the last word in detail, it doesn't throw as wide a soundstage as modern SS DAC's.

It does however sound wonderfully 'analogue' and lends itself incredibly well to acoustic recordings. As it's slightly rolled off there is no grain or harshness to it at all. The bass is also surprisingly good for a 1543 chip. Acoustic bass notes from a double bass or guitar have real texture and 'meat' on them, its pretty spell binding at times. Voices both male and female, are projected with an authenticity which I've found lacking on most SS DAC's (at least in my price range under £500.00).

Having said it's rolled off in the treble, what is there does have a natural 'tube' sparkle to it and certainly creates a much more 3D and enveloping image compared to say my Soncoz SGD1 which outperforms this in the soundstage and detail specs. The bass from the Soncoz also hits 'harder' but on acoustic stuff this thing sounds completely natural with bass notes taking shape in front of you and decaying all around the room.

Does have a tendency to sound a little 'congested' by complex passages but then I've basically bought it as the antidote to the aforementioned modern SS DAC's with perfect distortion figures and razor sharp detail retrieval.

It's really nice to switch between both depending on what material I'm listening to. They really do complement each other perfectly in my opinion. Luckily the Soncoz has a coax out so I can just link it to the other DAC as I do prefer the sound of coax over toslink.

I'm quite tempted to get 8 more TDA 1543 chips and do the 'solder together' mod as it improves sonics quite significantly apparently. I also wonder if a TDA 1543A and 1543T would improve/change things at all and if they are indeed swap in/out as a direct replacement. As they are not being used with any filter I would imagine so?

If anyone has any experience on this any advice or recommendations it would be most welcome.

Here is the circuit for those interested . . . .