+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MQA scam exposed

I'm CaughtBetweenTheDevilAndTheDeepBlueSea.

Angry MQA scam exposed

I've always thought that MQA was just a marketing ploy that doesn't add any real value to the hobby. Regardless, I subscribed to Tidal HiFi anyway, because then, it was the sole streaming service offering CD-quality streaming and some exclusive content from artists that support Tidal.

However, I'll be dropping the use of the service in favour of Qobuz soon, because some content on Tidal is passed on to the unsuspecting as non-MQA lossless FLAC even though it's the same high-distortion MQA version! I won't tolerate such fraudulent practice.

If you're unaware of how this all came to light, feel free to follow the URL below.

https://youtu.be/pRjsu9-Vznc
    MALEK
    There is no way to happiness... Happiness is The Way...

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I don't currently use a high resolution streaming service, but I did a couple of years ago, and I have to say that Qobuz was vastly superior in terms of sound quality. If I streamed again, I'd go straight back to them.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Grant.

ive tried them all and qobuz is best. spotty is also good and sure they will take bodies if and when they bring out a cd quality version
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

It's not just MQA, the entire 'hi-res' thing has been a scam right from the start.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive tried them all and qobuz is best. spotty is also good and sure they will take bodies if and when they bring out a cd quality version
    I'm surprised they haven't capitalised on it yet to be honest. They must know the market inside out and can see that there's a demand worth pandering to.

I use YouTube music which is surprisingly good, and a lot of well produced music sounds utterly amazing through the hifi. Not sure of the data rates, but it's very good and if the people who post the content have 'sound naus' they'll put it in as high res as possible. I don't think YouTube caps the audio stream - correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm Martin.

The quality of the production and mastering far outweighs any effect the bit rate will have, which is why some programme on You-Tube can sound so good and why some people think 'hi-res' is better than 16/44.1

You Tube are coy about the maximum bit rate possible but I think it is 256/kbps.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Spotify is going to CD quality later this year, in fact they've already notified me that my family premium subscription will be increasing from £14.99 to £16.99 in June which I suspect is to allow for it.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by PRYML View Post
    I've always thought that MQA was just a marketing ploy that doesn't add any real value to the hobby. Regardless, I subscribed to Tidal HiFi anyway, because then, it was the sole streaming service offering CD-quality streaming and some exclusive content from artists that support Tidal.

However, I'll be dropping the use of the service in favour of Qobuz soon, because some content on Tidal is passed on to the unsuspecting as non-MQA lossless FLAC even though it's the same high-distortion MQA version! I won't tolerate such fraudulent practice.

If you're unaware of how this all came to light, feel free to follow the URL below.

https://youtu.be/pRjsu9-Vznc
    A mate and I did a side by side blind comparison of Spotify and Tidal a while back (we had no idea about the MQA scam at the time) and even then we could hear a Tidal 'signature' on the music that indicated to us immediately that it was Tidal that we were listening to. I can understand why you might not want to use Spotify as your hifi source (although through a Chromecast audio it's pretty decent) but why anyone would pick Tidal over Quboz is beyond me, there is such a clear affinity for bass and low end sound on Tidal that's hard not to focus on when listening.

That video was very informative, I had no idea how shady MQA was, thanks for posting this!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm CaughtBetweenTheDevilAndTheDeepBlueSea.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    I can understand why you might not want to use Spotify as your hifi source (although through a Chromecast audio it's pretty decent) but why anyone would pick Tidal over Quboz is beyond me, there is such a clear affinity for bass and low end sound on Tidal that's hard not to focus on when listening.
    For one thing, Qobuz was not even an option in my region, and secondly, works from artists such as Eva Cassidy, was sadly limited to only a handful of tracks, of which most were actually MP3!
    MALEK
    There is no way to happiness... Happiness is The Way...

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by PRYML View Post
    For one thing, Qobuz was not even an option in my region, and secondly, works from artists such as Eva Cassidy, was sadly limited to only a handful of tracks, of which most were actually MP3!
    I had to make the same decision when deciding on how to listen to music and tidal just doesn't compare to FLAC/WAV from CD but I guess it comes down to how much is that worth? Most people would say that the monthly subscription for something like Tidal is so much cheaper than buying the same library on CD that the quality difference is just inconsequential

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast