+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS - Audio Note DAC 2 (but essentially a DAC 3)

I'm Kim.

Default FS - Audio Note DAC 2 (but essentially a DAC 3)

I bought this DAC from Rich (dicy) on AoS in December 2019 and was blown away by how good it is compared to other DACs I've had. I immediately sold my Chord DAC and MCRU linear power supply and relegated my Border Patrol DAC to my office system - this was just more detailed with more space around instruments and a more enjoyable listen. I've now decided to look for an upgrade, so this is for sale.

The original listing is at https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ially-a-DAC-3).

It's a DAC 2 but has a few important upgrades. I'm not going to pretend to understand all of the detail, but the important bits are:
    • DAC3 output PCB with DAC 3 interstage line transformers and upgraded Jenson output signal capacitors
    • DAC chip is the AD1865
    • Brick wall filters removed and non-oversampling modification applied

Apparently, this brings the DAC up towards DAC 3.1 level, though it has a single output transformer.

You can see from the original listing that it was serviced by High End Audio Repair in E. Sussex in December 2019. The DAC has worked faultlessly since I've had it. I had the chance to compare this to a 2.1x with Black Gate capacitors recently (that cost near twice as much!) and preferred this, though the difference was very small in my system.

The case is in very good condition. There are a few minor marks on the cover, but you have to catch it in the right light to see them. What looks like a scratch next to the bolt in the image below is just a piece of dusting cloth!

I did pay the original asking price for it (I'd offered that before Rich reduced the price and felt I should honour my offer), so I'm looking for £900 or a very close offer. It didn't come with the original box, but it will be well packed and shipping should be under £20 with UPS.
    Last edited by yolakim; 04-05-2021 at 06:33.
    Garrard 401 / EAR / AURALiC / DAC? / Spendor
    Border Patrol / Naim / Harbeth

I'm Colin.

pm sent
    "What's that thing with the light bulbs on top?" - our new neighbour on coming into our living room for the first time...

I'm Kim.

Now sold subject to payment and delivery.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by yolakim View Post
    Now sold subject to payment and delivery.
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking and I know this item is now sold subject to payment but was just wondering why it doesn't have USB input?

I'm Kim.

I believe you can get a USB module in some Audio Note DACs, but I think they prefer a SPDIF input.

I'm sure others know much more about this than me...

I'm Lawrence.

Peter Qvortrup used to say that red book was good enough for digital, I think that's why they didn't move to USB for years, plus it's not that long ago that USB started to sound as good as coax SPDIF. I'm not sure if PQ has changed his view on red book since.

I'm Lawrence.

Found this from last year so I guess not!

"Q: What advancements do you speculate high-end audio will offer ten years from now?

A: Now this is going to be controversial given that in my view pretty much all the development in digital and elsewhere has resulted in a gradual but marked decline in sound quality as the chase for higher and higher numbers combined with the advent of streaming and virtual music storage has caused fidelity to plummet to ever new lows.

The rise of analogue and the sales of LPs I giving me hope that the decline in sound quality will be halted and reversed."

I assume from this that he regards CD as the best source for digitally stored music.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 06-05-2021 at 06:33.

I'm Richard.

If your buying a new one they give you the option to have a usb fitted.

I'm Kim.

Sale now completed - many thanks to Colin (PaleMarsh) for a very pleasant transaction

+ Reply to Thread