+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Apple experts

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Good move Robin. Now buy two of these and pop them in the RAM slots round the back (remove the power lead and press the little button above the socket with a screwdriver to release the door), and hey presto, you immediately have 40GB of RAM - more than enough for almost everything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0846JXS...QSVQ8D9RD9XE4V
    sure it would.. ive 16gb and its got enough for me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm BigBobJoylove.

16GB is generally enough for all. My MacBook Pro and two Mac mini's are 16GB and they're plenty quick enough. My iMac was 64GB but I swapped two sticks out as a client needed them and now it's only 48GB - but in dropping down by 16GB there was absolutely no performance difference at all.

Essentially the entire OS and all the opened applications run purely in RAM.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yeah i see audi and bmw etc are into this add-on for a price... its all fitted in factory but needs to be enabled... been looking at an electric peugeot too.. im going up to see one soon actually.. need to see if i can get in it

looking like im not getting my jab as no matter who i contact nothing happens so i might as well just let it happen if thats how its to be.
    Ive now had both vaccines, strange you are still waiting.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Dave.

16GB is generally enough for all. My MacBook Pro and two Mac mini's are 16GB and they're plenty quick enough. My iMac was 64GB but I swapped two sticks out as a client needed them and now it's only 48GB - but in dropping down by 16GB there was absolutely no performance difference at all.

Essentially the entire OS and all the opened applications run purely in RAM.
    There comes a point when putting more memory in doesn't really make much difference - except perhaps to how maybe applications can be kept completely in RAM without any need for swapping. I put the max memory into the earlier ranges of iMacs and really it didn't make much difference once half the max was reached.

The JL offer seems a good one - with 512 Gbytes of SSD. Our machine, bought on an offer last year has 1 Tbyte in a Fusion drive configuration - but I have been slightly disappointed with the increase in background noise. Ideally I'ld like a machine like that with 2 Tbyte of SSD, but the cost would be prohibitive.
    Dave

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    There comes a point when putting more memory in doesn't really make much difference - except perhaps to how maybe applications can be kept completely in RAM without any need for swapping. I put the max memory into the earlier ranges of iMacs and really it didn't make much difference once half the max was reached.

The JL offer seems a good one - with 512 Gbytes of SSD. Our machine, bought on an offer last year has 1 Tbyte in a Fusion drive configuration - but I have been slightly disappointed with the increase in background noise. Ideally I'ld like a machine like that with 2 Tbyte of SSD, but the cost would be prohibitive.
    Happy with my decision, spoke to to someone at Apple who suggested the new M1 for course, but think this route would be better was its upgradable. THe 27 inch screen is also good.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

The performance of a Mac is its whole rather than certain spec; an SSD plus powerful processor plus powerful GPU plus plenty of RAM will perform better than a base model simply max'd out on RAM. The important thing is the internal drive, and that should be factory SSD - which on many models is three times faster than a third party SATA SSD, and those are fast anyway!

It's all about 'the big numbers' a lot of the time. I've seen people running Macs powerful enough to pull the moon from its orbit, and all they do is "emails, photos and internet". One doesn't really need 512GB of RAM and an 8TB SSD and a 16GB GPU for "emails, photos and internet", but it's 'cool' to have it.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Happy with my decision, spoke to to someone at Apple who suggested the new M1 for course, but think this route would be better was its upgradable. THe 27 inch screen is also good.

I bet they did! I'm sure they'll be an M1 replacement for the 27" iMac soon - and hopefully with decent spec, in the meantime it's still the best all round Mac (IMO), and that screen is incredible - I absolutely love mine.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Robin.

I bet they did! I'm sure they'll be an M1 replacement for the 27" iMac soon - and hopefully with decent spec, in the meantime it's still the best all round Mac (IMO), and that screen is incredible - I absolutely love mine.
    Will arrive sometime today.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Lovely!

I'm Dave.

Has it come yet? Hope it's working well.

I found this about memory - https://medium.com/macoclock/how-muc...0-59b12deaf0eb which suggests that if you do certain types of work - photo editing for example - then maxing out the memory can be worthwhile.
    OTOH for everyday use probably the memory it comes with, or maybe a bump to twice that, might be worthwhile.

If you bought from JL - as we did - I'm not sure how putting extra memory in affects their guarantee. Probably I'll put the extra memory in this one when the 2 or 3 year guarantee runs out.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast