+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Any Apple experts

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Has it come yet? Hope it's working well.

I found this about memory - https://medium.com/macoclock/how-muc...0-59b12deaf0eb which suggests that if you do certain types of work - photo editing for example - then maxing out the memory can be worthwhile.
    OTOH for everyday use probably the memory it comes with, or maybe a bump to twice that, might be worthwhile.

If you bought from JL - as we did - I'm not sure how putting extra memory in affects their guarantee. Probably I'll put the extra memory in this one when the 2 or 3 year guarantee runs out.
    Yes, it has arrived and is currently transferring everything over from my MacBook, good point about the extra memory and the JL warranty, will need to check that out.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Yes, it has arrived and is currently transferring everything over from my MacBook, good point about the extra memory and the JL warranty, will need to check that out.
    See my previous post...

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Good move Robin. Now buy two of these and pop them in the RAM slots round the back (remove the power lead and press the little button above the socket with a screwdriver to release the door), and hey presto, you immediately have 40GB of RAM - more than enough for almost everything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0846JXS...QSVQ8D9RD9XE4V
    40GB will be ample.

I'm Robin.

See my previous post...

40GB will be ample.
    Cheers Rob, will check that out once everything is up and running
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My first computer had 40GB. An Acer laptop with Windows XP in 2004, cost £899, was a good bit of kit.
    It's a good wedge of RAM that. The most I've come across was in a new Mac Pro at a client's place (film studio).

Their Mac Pro is running 1.5TB of RAM. Blindingly fast in everything, it was encoding 4K film of around 1.5 hours in length in less than 20 seconds. Amazing Mac, but almost £60,000 to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Cheers Rob, will check that out once everything is up and running

I'm Dave.

See my previous post...

40GB will be ample.
    Probably best to check with the Crucial compatiblity checker before buying new memory. https://uk.crucial.com/products?cm_m...vD_BwE%3AG%3As

Sometimes memory modules need to be matched to other boards - but it does depend on the machine, and what's already installed. Chances are that there will be 2 spare slots (at least). Officially I think there is a limit of 64 Gbytes for the iMacs, though perhaps some people have pushed the limit to 128 Gbytes. My guess is that even 32 Gbytes would be enough for most people.

However, I would rather fancy the £60k machine which has 1.5Tbytes of memory - but I can't really justify that.
    Dave

I'm BigBobJoylove.

It's compatible. I've been running Mac Doctor Norwich for ten years and been using Macs for over 31 years. I know compatible memory. I wouldn't recommend memory that wouldn't work. And Crucial will sell you only Crucial memory, Integral and Hynix is better memory from my years of experience.

This iMac (2020) will officially run 128GB, the previous year's model (2019) would officially run 64GB but actually run 128GB.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Robin.

It's compatible. I've been running Mac Doctor Norwich for ten years and been using Macs for over 31 years. I know compatible memory. I wouldn't recommend memory that wouldn't work. And Crucial will sell you only Crucial memory, Integral and Hynix is better memory from my years of experience.

This iMac (2020) will officially run 128GB, the previous year's model (2019) would officially run 64GB but actually run 128GB.
    Happy to take your advice Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Anthony.

Hi Guys

Thanks for a very interesting thread. As someone who bought a 2020 iMac 27" last October; would Filterlab be kind enough to point me at 2X16mb memory modules. I've also read somewhere that the original 8mb should be removed. It that necessary ?
    Main System : Apple MacMini - Via USB - Mytek Stereo192 DAC/pre - Reference Fidelity ic's - Quad QSP Power - Talk3 speaker cable - PMC 23 Loudspeakers
    Secondary System : Apple Imac - Jriver MC - RME ADI-2 DAC - Klotz MC5000 ic's - Edifier R1280T active loudspeakers.

I'm Dave.

Even if you don't want to buy Crucial memory (and I have had several modules from them over the years - and had no problems ...) you can still run the Crucial memory check which will tell you the kind of configuration you need. It should tell you whether you' need to take out the original 8Mbyte, or whether you can leave it in. Sometimes that's possible - and sometimes not - depends on the Apple model and the memory. You can also check whether a single 32 Mbyte module might be available and would work - it all depends ....

Chances are that you probably don't want to replace memory too often so you may find it not worth your while to install and test different configurations. Depends on how happy you are to undo panels on your computer, and extract and reinsert new modules. Sometimes old ones can be very hard to take out, and sometimes considerable force is needed to push the new ones in. You might only want to do that once.

I'm still trying to figure whether I should be adding memory to our newest machine - and whether it would invalidate the guarantee. I have succeeded in crashing the machine recently - almost certainly due to insufficient memory - while trying to do photo and video editing.
    Dave

I'm BigBobJoylove.

GB not MB, MB RAM has been gone for donkey's years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast