+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What's your current fav driving track?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not bad, Roy. The last track was my favourite

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

This has been my absolute favourite over the summer:

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Good shout, mate. I also loved that one!

A lot of the stuff I've posted here I've heard whilst out in the car listening to Radio 1, plus the DAB radio I've got there sounds rather good! Yes, probably 90% of the music output of that station is mind-numbing shite, but the other 10% can often throw up some gems...

Equally, I find listening to Radio 2, the popular music station reserved for 'us oldies' lol, mind-numbingly depressing. During the day, you'll NEVER hear anything new - just the same old shite, regurgitated again and again! Therefore, sometimes it pays not to be an intransigent old fart, and check out what the kids are down with

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Default What's your current fav driving track?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    This has been my absolute favourite over the summer:

I’m a Dua Lipa fan (and an Elton fan come to that - at least from back in the days when he could still sing!) but I don’t get this track at all.

It’s Elton singing the verse of ‘Sacrifice’ and then DL singing the chorus of ‘Rocket Man’ over a moderately fancy beat.

Smacks of cynical marketing to me rather than actual creativity.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

All true, but it's also intellectualising the fun out of good, simple pop, to bop along to in the car or wherever, which is the whole point.

It's not meant to be critically analysed by 'music snobs', simply enjoyed (if you like that kind of thing). Stock, Aitken and Waterman did the same with repetitive beats, designed to 'hook' you, superimposed onto the music of various artists in the 80s, and it didn't do Rick Astley or Kylie Minogue any harm!

The Elton John/DL track in question is simply the disposable pop of today, so if you don't like it, move along, nothing to see here

Marco.
    Main System

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well, I actually disagree, I think the driver of the track was Australian trio PNAU (who also did “Good Morning to the Night” with Elton in 2012) who put it together, and I think it’s quite clever to take four Elton tracks (“Kiss the Bride” and an album track “Where’s the Shoorah?” apparently also spliced in there) and come up with this boppy little number!

But yeah, not gonna overthink it, it just makes me happy and that’s what a good tune should do.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    All true, but it's also intellectualising the fun out of good, simple pop, to bop along to in the car or wherever, which is the whole point.

It's not meant to be critically analysed by 'music snobs', simply enjoyed (if you like that kind of thing). Stock, Aitken and Waterman did the same with repetitive beats, designed to 'hook' you, superimposed onto the music of various artists in the 80s, and it didn't do Rick Astley or Kylie Minogue any harm!

The Elton John/DL track in question is simply the disposable pop of today, so if you don't like it, move along, nothing to see here

Marco.
    Unfortunately I can’t ‘move along’ as Radio 1 keep bloody well playing it!!

I have no complaint about the beat and, as I said, I like Dua Lipa, but she’s better than this feeble effort. Hell, even Rick and Kylie’s 80s lyrics were original!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Hear, hear, mate!

I really only listen to that stuff in the car (hence the title of this thread), or heavy rock or dance music, as for me it lends itself to that and also helps keep me awake!

That's why it can't be anything too 'serious' or that requires much concentration. I mean, I love classical music and jazz/blues, but would I play it in the car? No chance! For me, it just doesn't 'fit', so for that reason R3 won't be on either, and I'm not staid, boring, or possibly intellectual enough to listen to R4!

Commercial radio stations do my nut in because of all the adverts! And 'themed' music stations, playing the same stuff over and over, even worse!! R6 though, can often be quite good, or otherwise it's CDs all the way!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Unfortunately I can’t ‘move along’ as Radio 1 keep bloody well playing it!!

I have no complaint about the beat and, as I said, I like Dua Lipa, but she’s better than this feeble effort. Hell, even Rick and Kylie’s 80s lyrics were original!
    That's the problem now since real DJs, responsible for selecting their own music, no longer exist on mainstream radio stations. The operators (read as glorified mouse clickers) simply press a few buttons and broadcast a predetermined playlist, which on R1 is governed by trends/flavours of the month, hence the track in question currently getting lots of airtime!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's the problem now since real DJs, responsible for selecting their own music, no longer exist on mainstream radio stations. The operators (read as glorified mouse clickers) simply press a few buttons and broadcast a predetermined playlist, which on R1 is governed by trends/flavours of the month, hence the track in question currently getting lots of airtime!

Marco.
    This isn't anything new - when i got my first radio in 1971, certain songs (The Tams' "Hey girl don't bother me", Middle of The Road's "Tweedle De Tweedle Dum", Redbone's "Witch Queen of New Orleans" and many others) were played by every DJ throughout the day.

We're just less tolerant of it these days because we're older.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910