+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: New amp for legacy speakers

  1. #1
    Join Date: Aug 2021

    Location: South West

    Posts: 102
    I'm Stuart.

    Default New amp for legacy speakers

    morning all
    I collected my new (to me), recapped, rewired, Celestion 44s earlier this week and have already been lucky enough to find a new home for my 15XRs.
    I realise that I haven’t been listening to them for very long, but already my attention is now turning to the amp.
    Currently I have a Rega Brio.
    without really being able to justify why I want to change, I know that over the coming weeks and months there will be that overpowering and all-encompassing urge to upgrade and it won’t go away until I either;
    1) sell all my hifi kit in which case the problem disappears, or,
    2) do something about it
    well, as I’m not keen on option 1, I sort of know where this one is headed.
    With my total lack of previous experience of different amps, I would very much appreciate any pointers/thoughts/recommendations, of which I’m sure there could be many.
    happy with legacy and willing to consider pros/cons of SS v tube.
    Budget - more of a case of what I’d be willing to spend rather than what, in theory, I could afford if I robbed my piggy bank.
    if we said max 1000 but preferably much closer to 500, where might that leave me?
    Thanks all - one of these days I do hope to be able to give more back to the forum that I seem to be taking at the moment.
    Last edited by MisterMoseley; 06-11-2021 at 08:44. Reason: Typo

  2. #2
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 49,432
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    You may not like my answer, but I think the amp is probably not a weak link in your system.
    Conspiracy theories are only perpetuated because people go looking for them!

  3. #3
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 34,259
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    I agree with Geoff, I've owned the 44s and a Brio R will have no trouble getting 100 percent out of them.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Audiolab 6000CDT* Soncoz SGD-1 * Nelson Pass DCB1 * Krell KSA50s * JM Lab Electra 926 *

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jun 2015

    Location: London/Durham

    Posts: 5,800
    I'm Lawrence.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You may not like my answer, but I think the amp is probably not a weak link in your system.
    So what is? If amp and speakers are well matched presumably the sources?

  5. #5
    Join Date: Aug 2021

    Location: South West

    Posts: 102
    I'm Stuart.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You may not like my answer, but I think the amp is probably not a weak link in your system.
    Thanks Geoff.
    I realise that you’ve previously given me advice on speaker selection. I’ve in no way ignored what you’ve previously said (KEFs, etc), but the 44s were just something I knew I had to try once in my life.
    I’m not saying they’ll be with me for evermore and I’m sure that over the next few months, I’ll start thinking about older KEFs or some transmission lines again. It wouldn’t surprise me if, within the next 6 months or so, I have yet another pair of speakers and I move the 44s to one side (as I’ve recently done with my Castle Severns).
    The issue for now is that from what you’ve said, I really don’t need to fret about amplifiers for as long as I own the 44s.
    And given the condition they’re in (immaculate cabinets, recapped, & re-wired with Van Damme), I honestly believe I shouldn’t lose too much if I decide to move them on.
    Thanks again
    Stuart

  6. #6
    Join Date: Aug 2021

    Location: South West

    Posts: 102
    I'm Stuart.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree with Geoff, I've owned the 44s and a Brio R will have no trouble getting 100 percent out of them.
    Thanks Martin.
    as per my reply to Geoff, I appreciate the previous help you’ve given me and it’s good to know that for as long as I own the 44s, I really shouldn’t rush out and change the Brio.
    Thanks
    Stuart

  7. #7
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 34,259
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Have you got them on stands? if not you could look at doing that. Open frame stands that get the mid-range driver up to ear height would be my suggestion.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Audiolab 6000CDT* Soncoz SGD-1 * Nelson Pass DCB1 * Krell KSA50s * JM Lab Electra 926 *

  8. #8
    Join Date: Aug 2021

    Location: South West

    Posts: 102
    I'm Stuart.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Have you got them on stands? if not you could look at doing that. Open frame stands that get the mid-range driver up to ear height would be my suggestion.
    Hi Martin
    really good point and I’ve been looking for the last few days.
    there are a pair of Tannoy TS 2s on EBay at the moment but I can find nothing about them on-line. I’m thinking that anything I buy has to be strong enough to support 20Kg but perhaps most open frame stands would do that.
    I’ve also considered wooden stands.
    Interesting what you’ve said about ear height. I’d always thought it was tweeter at ear height but perhaps that’s because I’ve not had a three way speaker before. This changes what I thought would be the ideal height for stands.
    possibly need to experiment by propping the speakers up on a couple of chairs before taking the plunge.
    Not penny pinching - just don’t want to spend only to find the stand height is wrong.
    Thanks.
    Stuart

  9. #9
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 49,432
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    If you want to experiment, you could try a couple of bargain shop step-stools. They are about nine inches tall and take a lot of weight. Just make sure they are flat topped ones, some are slightly curved. Should be just the right height and they are pretty inert, so won't vibrate. You can get them in black. Less than a tenner a pair in the right place.
    Conspiracy theories are only perpetuated because people go looking for them!

  10. #10
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 34,259
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    Hi Martin
    really good point and I’ve been looking for the last few days.
    there are a pair of Tannoy TS 2s on EBay at the moment but I can find nothing about them on-line. I’m thinking that anything I buy has to be strong enough to support 20Kg but perhaps most open frame stands would do that.
    I’ve also considered wooden stands.
    Interesting what you’ve said about ear height. I’d always thought it was tweeter at ear height but perhaps that’s because I’ve not had a three way speaker before. This changes what I thought would be the ideal height for stands.
    possibly need to experiment by propping the speakers up on a couple of chairs before taking the plunge.
    Not penny pinching - just don’t want to spend only to find the stand height is wrong.
    Thanks.
    Stuart
    Acoustic centre will be different for different speakers, impossible to say for certain with the '44 as there's no relevant data. But will most likely be level with the mid range driver or somewhere in between the tweeter and the midrange.

    Stands slightly too short are better than too high as you can always put some offcuts of wood or something under the stand to raise it, but making them shorter is not possible.

    There's also the option of angling the speaker slightly upwards.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Audiolab 6000CDT* Soncoz SGD-1 * Nelson Pass DCB1 * Krell KSA50s * JM Lab Electra 926 *

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •