+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious question. Hearing

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm fairly sure my right ear was damaged using Lee Enfield .303 rifles on a RAF shooting range when I was in my teens (it was a very long time ago). The Enfield has a pressure relief port to its left side that emits large amounts of supersonic energy and I copped a lot of it from the guy to my right. No ear defenders back in those days.

(yes, I am a qualified RAF marksman and I wasn't even in the RAF )

powerful weapon... my dad used one..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm fairly sure my right ear was damaged using Lee Enfield .303 rifles on a RAF shooting range when I was in my teens (it was a very long time ago). The Enfield has a pressure relief port to its left side that emits large amounts of supersonic energy and I copped a lot of it from the guy to my right. No ear defenders back in those days.

(yes, I am a qualified RAF marksman and I wasn't even in the RAF

Interesting - would the sound be even louder due to being supersonic, in the same way that jets make a right racket in supersonic flight? That would certainly do your hearing.

As for shooting at RAF range, I would have enjoyed that. I once got to shoot some pistols at a gun club, including some bloke's .44 Smith & Wesson. Sadly those days are gone, thanks to our knee-jerk reaction to a handful of dickheads with more ammo than brains
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I read somewhere that firing only three rounds from a Lee Enfield .303 rifle, would (could?) cause permanent hearing damage.

But to reply to the OP, as long as you continue to enjoy music just live with it. As Ali has said, the brain has a remarkable ability to compensate for shortcomings in the various senses.

I can't hear pure tones over 10kHz, and have very mild tinnitus in my right ear - yet I can hear the effect of a 10kHz low-pass filter applied to, say a violin recording.
    Barry

I'm John.

I worked as a Linotype operator in the newspaper industry. A room full of these machines was very noisy and I am sure this noise damaged my hearing. This was during the late 60s and 70s. A Linotype was a type-setting machine which used molten metal to cast lines of type (Linotype). Around the mould to crucible interface, asbestos was used to form a heat seal. This asbestos seal would sometimes break down and would be repaired using asbestos mixed with a special glue/paste. The dust particles from the asbestos could clearly be seen whilst this was done. Thank fu*k for the advent of computers eh?
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I read somewhere that firing only three rounds from a Lee Enfield .303 rifle, would (could?) cause permanent hearing damage.
    A session on the range would leave your ears ringing for hours.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    I worked as a Linotype operator in the newspaper industry. A room full of these machines was very noisy and I am sure this noise damaged my hearing. This was during the late 60s and 70s. A Linotype was a type-setting machine which used molten metal to cast lines of type (Linotype). Around the mould to crucible interface, asbestos was used to form a heat seal. This asbestos seal would sometimes break down and would be repaired using asbestos mixed with a special glue/paste. The dust particles from the asbestos could clearly be seen whilst this was done. Thank fu*k for the advent of computers eh?
    I did an apprenticeship as a letterpress compositor, and I can vouch for those linotype machines - you had to shout to make yourself heard.

Mind you some of those presses weren't any better. We had this ancient old press which we used to print posters using wooden type. The thing could shake the building, and one day the owner of the cafe below us called in to complain that one of his polystyrene ceiling tiles had fallen onto a customer's head. So after that it was only used in the afternoons. It ran off a long belt from a giant flywheel, and one time the belt grabbed one of the old guys by his hair and carried him to the ceiling before letting him go. Oh how we laughed. But this was the 70's, a time untroubled by health & safety
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm David.

Thanks All,

the observation about aids possibly further ruining my hearing is a good one. My eyes have detriorated quite rapidly since I started wearing reading glasses three years ago.
    As for the impact, it really does spoil the listening. I have a tad more volume running through the right channel and this centres the vocals nicely, but there always seem to be more instruments on the left side than the right.
    My plan is to swap speaker cables and see if there are then new, unheard instruments on the left that I missed when running through the right channel, and some missing on the right that I used to hear through the left.

Re the suggestion about super tweeters my Neat XLSs are equipped with exactly that, mounted in the top surface and firing upwards.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Dave.

Before rushing to get hearing aids maybe have other things checked out. I suffer from wax in my ears periodically, and recently it's been bad in one ear. Also colds and other problems - maybe allergies can affect hearing - for example by blocking the eustachian tubes, and if the ears become infected that's not good. I'm somewhat older than others have declared, but I'd prefer to continue without hearing aids for as long as possible. I have also used headphones quite a bit sometimes - and recently in the last couple of weeks, but I am firmly convinced that extended headphone listening makes problems such as earwax and infections worse - perhaps because the ears tend to become warm, and maybe there are bacteria which affect the ears which get in via the headphones.

However, I wouldn't dismiss severe hearing problems completely. One of my younger friends suffered quite severe hearing loss about a decade ago - I'm not sure if he ever found out why it happened - but he can't hear what is being said sometimes without the help of his hearing aids. I occasionally also have problems due to the wax, but so far it has always cleared up eventually.

If you discover you really do need hearing aids then go for them, but I think that some of the commercial outfits have an interest in convincing customers that they need hearing aids so that they can keep their businesses running.
    Even doctors get things wrong - probably quite often. My mother - at the time she was over 80 - had earwax problems, and on one occasion went very deaf indeed, particularly in one ear. Her GP tried gently to tell her that she needed hearing aids, but she insisted she didn't and wanted her ears flushed out. In the end she had the wax cleared out, and it was clear that her hearing improved dramatically in a matter of minutes. She never did have hearing aids, though she did eventually have other problems.

With advancing age I think that things do get worse. One late musician friend of very advanced years became quite frustrated with several very expensive sets of hearing aids, as he said that they put out the tuning of all the music he listened to, and also of his piano. He commented that some were better than others, but in the end I don't think he liked them much in his last years.

I also recommend reading this book by Bella Bathurst if you want to know more about the kinds of problems some people have had - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Memoi...s=books&sr=1-6 Sound - a memoir of hearing lost and found
    Dave

I'm Brian.

Default Serious question. Hearing

If you are thinking about hearing aids to better enjoy your music, I’d think twice. My aids only serve to make it sound tinny, harsh and very sibilant. My high frequency range is all but gone. If you need them to get on with life and actually converse with people,then get them. I only use mine when I absolutely need to, ie in work meetings and social settings with lots of background chatter where I have to interact. To be honest, working from home has really suited me as all work meetings are virtual and sticking on headphones makes hearing people so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

An NHS hearing aid user here as I have moderate hearing loss and tinnitus.

Everyday life and listening to music has been enhanced by the use of the hearing aids, so I would recommend getting checked out and giving them a try.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast