+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Raindrop Hui DAC 4x Wolfson DAC chips

I'm Lawrence.

Withdrawn now, definitely don't need the other opamps to decide

I'm Lawrence.

Definitely withdrawn now, no need to wait for the other opamps to know it's a keeper

I'm Lawrence.

Back available been enjoying it again but really do need to make some space!

I'm Chris.

Hi Lawrence. Which of the components in the DAC are op amps, I guess at the big red things

Are they really plug and play like a valve, and can you give the part numbers of the ones you have used, both standard and improved, so I can read up about them?
    My summary of what you have written is that the op amps fitted originally are what's included in the sale. Is this right?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Lawrence.

Hi Chris there are a few types which don't work so well in all applications eg. AD797 can oscillate but apparently they have been tried successfully in this DAC according to DIY audio. I'll dig out the original op amps and look at the type I'm currently using. I've changed them in a few devices and found a change in sound. The originals are included at the "new" price.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Hi Lawrence. Which of the components in the DAC are op amps, I guess at the big red things

Are they really plug and play like a valve, and can you give the part numbers of the ones you have used, both standard and improved, so I can read up about them?
    My summary of what you have written is that the op amps fitted originally are what's included in the sale. Is this right?
    Sorry Chris took some new photos after replying but completely forgot to update the thread, the opamps in there now are OPA134 types, I need to dig out the originals I'll try and do it today.

The DAC is currently doing sterling work in my headphone system connected to a raspberry pi via the USB input. I bought a THX AAA amp to try with my Monoprice planars and needed a separate dac to use it.

I'm Martin.

Im interested in this, have sent a PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player
    Audiolab 8000S Amp
    Monitor Audio BX2 Bronze speakers
    Custom made Cryo 99.99% Solid silver interconnects.
    QED Revelation Signatures series silver speaker cable.
    Mission speaker stands.
    Components sat on Marble Plinths.
    Fed via Filtered mains Conditioners.

I'm Lawrence.

Replied

I'm Lawrence.

I've found the original op amps and they are... also OPA134s!

I'm convinced the new ones I bought from Mouser sound better, I wonder if the original stock set are not genuine...

Anyway, it's sounding even better with a USB to SPDIF converter between and my Liz Zen streamer, it really is a nice DAC.

The WM8740 is also a highly regarded chip, check it out online. And this has 4 of them!!! Must be the only DAC that does. Arcam used 2 in theirs.

And look at that transformer and the capacitors. This is a serious piece of kit!!

It's just not quite as good as my Audio Gd DAC, that cost 3x more than I'm asking.

I'm Raphael.

Hi Lawerence,

I'll have it please.

If you could forward contact detailI will setup payment etc.

Many thanks,

Rgds,

Ray

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast