+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kef reference 107/2 recap

I'm Andrew.

Default Kef reference 107/2 recap

I thought I’d share this with those that may be considering recapping their reference speakers.
    This morning I was looking forward to recapping the head unit of my 107/2’s , the only reason was that you read that capacitors have a 20 year maximum life.
    Before replacing any I removed one and measured it , turns out it measured within its 2% tolerance and the new monacor replacement did not so I soldered the old one back in its place, tried a few more then eventually I tested all of the old ones and they ALL measured within their 2% tolerance, not bad after 25 years or more .
    I will also add that when the Kef reference speakers were made the engineers were not able to obtain capacitors with exact values in the quantity they needed so each crossover would have their induction coils made by Kef to match the capacitor values being fitted , so the values written on the caps were not necessarily the true value, a record was made for each crossover/speaker which is why they are “ reference “ models , trouble is when Kef was sold the new owners destroyed all the records!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Why would they destroy all the records? Madness. I've worked places like that, stuff that really needs doing they put off forever but they can't wait to delete information or chuck stuff out and then of course the next day you need to refer to it, you can't, and it ends up costing them thousands. All for the sake of a few boxes in a cupboard or 1% of the space on a server.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Why would they destroy all the records? Madness. I've worked places like that, stuff that really needs doing they put off forever but they can't wait to delete information or chuck stuff out and then of course the next day you need to refer to it, you can't, and it ends up costing them thousands. All for the sake of a few boxes in a cupboard or 1% of the space on a server.
    I agree mate it’s utter madness.
    It’s reminded me of my first job at Hammond organs in Bletchley where I worked in their parts department and I was training to use the electric forklift, the guy training me turned out to be a raving lunatic ( he once drove a car at speed into lake ) he was also an alcoholic! He had showed me which large switch operated the forklift charger and explained that in the morning I must switch it to the off position before unplugging the forklift charger cable , thing is he thought it would be funny to show me the wrong switch! So I do as I’m told and switch off this big switch then I pull the plug on the forklift and off I go , around 10 minutes later I see the finance director approaching me and looking very angry, anyway the lunatic had shown me the mainframe computer switch and NOT the forklift charger switch so apparently I had lost them 3 months worth of accounts, I was sacked on the spot ! They then had my mother to deal with ( I was 16 years old)

I'm Martin.

Christ that was bad. Fancy having the mainframe power where anyone could just turn it off.

Worked in a few warehouses and never met a fork-lift driver who wasn't a raving lunatic. I did it for a bit (well, low-loader but it's the same basic idea).

Having races around the floor when management weren't about. There was about ten pallets of yogurts stacked and the bloke in the proper forklift took a corner too fast and went into it, clipped the whole edge off of it. Then there was a yogurt fight in the remnants. The mess was incredible.

He held his hand up to it in the hope he'd get off lightly for confessing. But he didn't.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    He held his hand up to it in the hope he'd get off lightly for confessing. But he didn't.
    He broke one of the two golden rules. Deny everything. Never volunteer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

I once took out the whole power to where I was working. The computer bods were the most angry.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I once took out the whole power to where I was working. The computer bods were the most angry.
    Glad it’s not just me

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I did the same. There weren't really any computers back then though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Some spinning jennys went down though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

The water mill crashed too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast