+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Sensor on DAB Radio

I'm John.

Default Remote Sensor on DAB Radio

The remote sensor on my Pure Digital radio seems to have a fault. It will not pick-up a signal from the remote. I got the radio 2nd hand without a remote so bought a custom made remote form a Czech supplier recommended by a member. I've done the tests the supplier suggested to check if the sensor is working, and it appears that it isn't. Does anyone know if this can be repaired?
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I'm sure it could be repaired, but it would likely exceed the value of a replacement radio.

I'm John.

You're probably right, but it's a nice little radio that works well. Changing stations is a pain without being able to use the pre-sets on the remote - there's no pre-set function on the unit.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp

I'm Edward.

John, are you sure that the third party remote is actually working and if so paired to the Pure Radio? What makes you conclude the sensor on the radio is not working?

To check if the remote is emitting a signal, point it to the camera on your phone. You should see a flashing light.

I'm John.

Hi Edward, The remote is customised for the DAB, and appears to be working on. The supplier of the remote asked to carry out the test you describe using the phone camera. This showed that the sensor in the radio is faulty. I've had one quote for repair from a local electrical shop for £150. I don't think it's worth spending that much, but will look for other repairers.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    Hi Edward, The remote is customised for the DAB, and appears to be working on. The supplier of the remote asked to carry out the test you describe using the phone camera. This showed that the sensor in the radio is faulty. I've had one quote for repair from a local electrical shop for £150. I don't think it's worth spending that much, but will look for other repairers.
    Ok understood. Perhaps find a donor unit where you can cannibalise the sensor?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm mick.

A quick test I picked up in my tv/video servicing days to check for a faulty remote was to switch a radio to mw and hold the remote close and press the buttons. If the remote was ok the radio made a morse code type sound
    Check the remote is an IR type and not RF type as the mw or the camera test will not work
    Mick
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm John.

I don't dare touch the insides of hifi, but I've asked the guy who repairs my stuff and he's going to look into it.
    Is the sensor in the radio a standard item that can be used in any device? As the remote is programmed to work with the Pure DAB I thought the sensor was specific to the model?

I'm John.

The radio is dab only Mick. I've tried the camera test though - as suggested by the remote supplier, and the sensor in the radio appears to be dead.

I'm mick.

Sorry, I meant to try it on another radio (with mw).
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast