+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is a deep clean possible without an ultrasonic

I'm Paul.

I use a hand held steam cleaner with the vinyl held with suction cups, run around the vinyl particularly the edges as that is where 90% of the problem is (where people have held their vinyl with dirty fingers !!) then I run around with a paint pad pro the only one where fibres can get into the grooves, then I put on my record cleaner and vacuum off, this I find is very effective.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm richard.

Cheers Adrian. That's the most comprehensive reply I've ever had on AOS. Nice job.

All the lps are visually mint. No marks or anything, all bright shiny black vinyl. So hjthat's why I'm hoping it's not stylus damage as really they sound really good.

I'll try LADS then have a go at the triton though I am concerned about losing a testicle if I get it wrong. Or killing the dog!!

Many thanks Richard

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    I use a hand held steam cleaner with the vinyl held with suction cups, run around the vinyl particularly the edges as that is where 90% of the problem is (where people have held their vinyl with dirty fingers !!) then I run around with a paint pad pro the only one where fibres can get into the grooves, then I put on my record cleaner and vacuum off, this I find is very effective.
    That's interesting idea tho ordinarily I'd worry about warping them?

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Although my buying experience of new vinyl is largely positive I have had this with some examples of new stuff. Normally I'd send it back every time but occasionally it's borderline (replacement could be worse?). It's annoying and even after a couple of washes there is no change. Sadly I'm left with the conclusion it's there in the poor quality raw material or contamination entering the pressing process. Probably batch dependent.

Once you can condition yourself to rise above some of the limitations of vinyl listening life gets easier, but it shouldn't be like this. New vinyl manufacture is a massive cash cow that continues to be profitably milked.
    I feel the pain.... And share it too.

I'm richard.

A member of this parish once helped with use of his ultrasonic but maybe if I get desperate then pva might get used. Done it before with mixed results. Cheers Martin

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's impossible to tell if the crackle is due to dirt still in the grooves or actual groove damage.

You could buy an ultrasonic cleaner and it still doesn't sort it and then you've spent that cash for nothing.

Maybe see if you can take a few of the records round to someone who already has one?

With the vacuum machines really bad records sometimes need 3 or 4 going overs. Or you could use the wood glue method on them.

Failing all that CDs are very cheap nowadays.
    CD? Wash your mouth out
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    That's interesting idea tho ordinarily I'd worry about warping them?
    Never lost or warped a single one and I have done quite a few! It is only the fine steam and not droplets that soften up the ingrained dirt prior to the vinyl going onto the RCM and final vacuumm that really does it. I have tried all theothere'sIncc u/sonic and none come close to this method.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    CD? Wash your mouth out
    lol - pure perfect sound forever! Looking back I think I was insane to stick with vinyl for so long. But - each to his own.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    Never lost or warped a single one and I have done quite a few! It is only the fine steam and not droplets that soften up the ingrained dirt prior to the vinyl going onto the RCM and final vacuumm that really does it. I have tried all theothere'sIncc u/sonic and none come close to this method.
    Which steamer do you use Paul ?

I'm Anto.

Thats interesting Adrian . I rarely play my LP,s because even though I have cleaned them on my Nasty Knosti ,some are quite crackly !
    I used a 10-20 % isoprop ,and 80 distilled water and some wetting agent.
    I have not tried Enzyme cleaner but I do have some and may be tempted to give it a try ! Cheers
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast