+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is a deep clean possible without an ultrasonic

I'm richard.

Default is a deep clean possible without an ultrasonic

I recently posted about buying used vinyl instead of new vinyl due to quality issues.........But, I dug out some old ones to play and realized I hadn't yet cleaned them but, after doing that I have some that although they sound great, they still have a number of crackles albeit not persistent clicks. They do look Mint.

I've had excellent results with the method/fluids I use but I'm wondering if these ones can be revived by using something else - I don't want to replace them.

So the question is, does anyone have a suggestion for fluids that can deep cleaning LP's using a RCM only ??

FYI I use a ProJect VCS with 3 cleaning cycles > 1st Groovinator, 2nd Wash-it, 3rd Distilled Water wash.

All ideas gratefully received

richard

I'm Gary.

Would respectfully say your process and thinking is getting in the way of enjoying the music you like.

Lot of us have been there.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

It's impossible to tell if the crackle is due to dirt still in the grooves or actual groove damage.

You could buy an ultrasonic cleaner and it still doesn't sort it and then you've spent that cash for nothing.

Maybe see if you can take a few of the records round to someone who already has one?

With the vacuum machines really bad records sometimes need 3 or 4 going overs. Or you could use the wood glue method on them.

Failing all that CDs are very cheap nowadays.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

I tried a “CD” on my SL1200.
    The sound was rubbish. It was useful for setting the bias though.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

You probably playing it at the wrong speed
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

And Side 1 always sounds better than Side 2.
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

Getting the disc dead centre was also problematic.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Oh - I just enlarge the hole so I can use the 45rpm adapter.
    Barry

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    .......after doing that I have some that although they sound great, they still have a number of crackles albeit not persistent clicks. They do look Mint.
    Although my buying experience of new vinyl is largely positive I have had this with some examples of new stuff. Normally I'd send it back every time but occasionally it's borderline (replacement could be worse?). It's annoying and even after a couple of washes there is no change. Sadly I'm left with the conclusion it's there in the poor quality raw material or contamination entering the pressing process. Probably batch dependent.

Once you can condition yourself to rise above some of the limitations of vinyl listening life gets easier, but it shouldn't be like this. New vinyl manufacture is a massive cash cow that continues to be profitably milked.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post

So the question is, does anyone have a suggestion for fluids that can deep cleaning LP's using a RCM only ??

FYI I use a ProJect VCS with 3 cleaning cycles > 1st Groovinator, 2nd Wash-it, 3rd Distilled Water wash.

All ideas gratefully received

richard
    As others will tell you I have been through various cleaning processes and have posted about iton AoS detail several times. I started with the manual Knosti Anti-Stat cleaner and tried various fluids and wash/rinse cycles. I ten created my own cleaner from and old turntable and a modified wet/dry vacuum with the wand carefully modified to remove fluids whilst I manually spun the records. After researching on the web I found a home brew fluid of 10-20% Pure Isopropyl Alcohol, 80% distilled water and an enzyme cleaner called Triton-X, I also add the wetting agent(although this may be overkill).

Initially I clean with old record carbon fibre anti-static brush, then wash with the cleaning brew, vacuum, then clean with L'Art Du Son mix vacuum then rinse with with distilled water(with some wetting agent added), then vacuum dry, and put into a drying rack to allow the last remnants of water to evaporate. The slip into new PVC liners https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above works pretty well but is quite labour intensive and time consuming, I have found that records which have been subjected to smokey atmospheres are the hardest to get clean a get rid of the crackle pop syndrome. I was given some from 2 friends, one smoked when younger and the other did not, nearly all the records from the non-smoker cleaned up and played perfect first time. The records from the smoker were a different matter, often thet would take several cleans, the more popular the record the more times it took to clean it, presumably due to it being out the sleeve more often in a smokey environment.

I persevered with the above for a while and then purchased an ultrasonic record cleaner from china, similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasonic-...s%2C152&sr=1-7. Mine will take up to 10 records at one time, so it is a big saving on time, I clean a batch for 15-20 minutes in the U/S machine and then rinse with distilled and then vacuum as before. This generally gives better results in my opinion that the previous process. However I have found that some records can be very stubborn, especially if from a smokey atmosphere, so in this case I will give them an extended manual clean with the L'art du Son, then rinse and then through my normal process, in most cases this results in a quiet replay. If not then I will retry once or twice more and then accept that the record probably has groove damage.

By the way everything I have read on the topic indicates that groove damage is likely to be quite rare, unless a record has been played with a severely damaged stylus in its life, most noise from the groove will be due to accumulated dirt and grease(from fingers), and tar from cigarettes/open fires which has solidified and become trapped, it can be very difficult to remove fully. I have one copy of Led Zeppelin III, a favourite of mine and an early pressing, hardly any surface marks and no scratches, initially it sounded pretty bad with persistent background crackle, I was given this from a smoker who had owned it from new. After at least 6 manual cleans gave up on it, by a persisted and after a 3 further cleans with the U/S machine it is now VG+.

Here is the cleaning fluid info:

Be careful with the Triton-X it is an industrial enzyme cleaner and will kill skin cells, used in manufacture od cleaning products, always wear gloves and eye protection, you must dilute it down as below and keep in a safe place

5L of distilled water, 1L (one large bottle) of 99% IPA and 5ml of technical grade Triton X-100 or 25ml ILFORD ILFOTOL WETTING AGENT

For a 50 ml batch of solution:
    (1 teaspoon = 4.929 ml> say 5 ml for those using droppers)
    5 ml (1 teaspoon) of Triton X-100
    45 ml (9 teaspoons) of Distilled Water
    Mix solution and let sit approx 10 hrs (overnight) or add 99% IPA to speed dilution

From Vince "You want a final concentration of detergent around 0.1 to 0.2%"
    50 ml = 1.69 oz
    1 gal = 128 oz
    1.69 oz solution / 128 (oz/gal) water = 0.013 =1.3%
    therefore
    1.69 oz of solution to 1 gal water = 1.3%;
    1.69 oz of solution to 10 gal water = 0.13%;
    Use 5 ml solution per gallon of water [for .13% concentration (light rinsing & ultrasonics), use 50 ml solution per gallon of water for rough cleaning]

So for my 10 L Ultrasonic Cleaner that uses 2 gals of Distilled Water, I would need 10 ml of solution.
    For the Spin Clean tank that uses 24 ozs (.1875 gals) of Distilled Water, I would need 2 ml of solution.

For 5L Ultrasonic Cleaner need 6.5ml of solution.

For 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner need 7.8ml of solution.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast