+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheap amp that'll run 3 speakers!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Precisely that mate.

There's two sets of speaker outputs, use an R and the two Ls to connect the three speakers. You'll get a mono signal to all the channels. Don't worry that there's a spare speaker output unused, it's not going to upset the amp at all.

Make sure SP2 is switched on, that enables the second set of speaker outputs.

I'm Lawrence.

Depending on the layout of the outputs (which I assume will parallel the A and B speakers) is there not a risk that the channel with 2 speakers will be at low impedance and get overdriven? Is that what the soft clipping is supposed to help with? Presumably it would shut down before doing any lasting damage?

If the speaker impedances are different then you might be able to put two high impedance speakers on one channel and the lower impedance speaker on the other.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Depending on the layout of the outputs (which I assume will parallel the A and B speakers) is there not a risk that the channel with 2 speakers will be at low impedance and get overdriven? Is that what the soft clipping is supposed to help with? Presumably it would shut down before doing any lasting damage?

If the speaker impedances are different then you might be able to put two high impedance speakers on one channel and the lower impedance speaker on the other.
    She will be using it at very low volumes - it's just for a bit of background music while her clients are burning to a crisp on the sunbeds or having their nails sharpened or whatever

Again thanks for all the suggestions, if she wants me to I'm going to go down the route Rob suggested and put a bid on that Alpha 8 amp (I think she'll like that) and get one of those stereo/mono convertors.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Precisely that mate.

There's two sets of speaker outputs, use an R and the two Ls to connect the three speakers. You'll get a mono signal to all the channels. Don't worry that there's a spare speaker output unused, it's not going to upset the amp at all.

Make sure SP2 is switched on, that enables the second set of speaker outputs.
    That's perfect, there is one room where she would like to be able to switch off the music while keeping the others going

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Mike.

Mate i'd get yourself a 2nd hand Extron or Crown pro D class amp especially if she's running in three separate rooms you're going to want to run mono

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

You'd have to run it very hard, Arcam amps are quite tough old boots. For background music at levels which one can whisper over, or even more moderate volumes, it won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Mate i'd get yourself a 2nd hand Extron or Crown pro D class amp especially if she's running in three separate rooms you're going to want to run mono
    The mono converter will do that as per the previous posts. £22. Bargain! Leaves one free to select any amplifier from the fine array on eBay.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That's perfect, there is one room where she would like to be able to switch off the music while keeping the others going
    Even better!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Steve.

Well I bought one of those mono convertors, and it looks to be a nice solid little thing, about the size of a matchbox.

I had less luck bidding on an Arcam Alpha 8R, which went eventually for £165. So straight away, (staying with Arcam as they seem to have what we need) I did a late bid on a minty looking A75 Diva, and got that for £134. New price looks to have been about £430, so I'm happy with that. Should arrive Thursday.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Brilliant! I love the Diva range, my A85 is a killer amp. Should do you a treat mate.

I'm Alan.

I used to run 5 sets of speakers in the property in France, all from the same amplifier.

It is doable provided you use series/parallel connection that doesn't present too low a load to the amplifier.
    A lot of folks would (and have done so with dire consequences) just connect all speakers into the terminals without a thought, thus presenting too low an impedance and seriously stressing the amplifier.
    Steve give me a ring if you want more info.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast