+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheap amp that'll run 3 speakers!

I'm Steve.

Default Looking for a cheap amp that'll run 3 speakers!

As the title says, any suggestions? It's for my daughter's hairdressers/sunbed shop/nail bar. She has some recently bought little Wharfedale Diamond speakers, and has one in each of three rooms. So I suppose the amp will need switchable mono. Doesn't have to be a new amp.

I had bought her an old NAD "Power Envelope" amp for this purpose, and it was a nice thing. But she's pigged about with the bare speaker wires in the back and now the amp gets "very hot and smells like burning" (her words). I told her to unplug it and wait to hear back from me...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

if she had say an 8ohm and 2 times 4ohm speakers it would be easier
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Yamaha DSP-E492 may do it.
    It is 3 x 70W, but will need some fiddling with settings etc. to get all three channels in mono.
    They are dirt cheap on ebay.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

Failing that, an Arcam Alpha 10P with the Dave module, if you can find one. I have one, but postage and condition of the amp negates mine from your search.

Another option may be an AV receiver?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Adam.

The NAD should do it fine - how have you wired the speakers?

I remember running in 14 speakers at once in a judicious set of series/parallel combinations off a NAD 314 for a group test. I ran them overnight on pink noise and the amp was only moderately warm when I arrived in the office next day.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Could you just get a couple of cheap two channel amps from Amazon and use a splitter on one of the output interconnects? I'm sure it wouldn't matter a great deal if one speaker played left and the others played right (or vice versa). It doesn't sound like it's for critical listening. Even better if the source can be set to mono output.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071XQGY...4JC234X6E2F3MF

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Or maybe just a good used Arcam. It's hardly going to bother it having three speakers connected.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-Alp....m46890.l49286

I'm Steve.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think what I'm after is an amp which has a mono switch and two sets of speaker outs. The speakers will only be used at pretty low volumes. But I don't want her current amp which is actually a receiver (NAD 7220pe or 7225pe) to get binned, as it is a nice little thing, so I think I'll bring it home and try it here.

I had thought that she may have shorted something when she was dicking around with the speaker wires, so I went for a look. It was working when I left, but she later called me to say it was very hot and smelt funny.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

One of these may help your cause...

https://www.inta-audio.com/monacor-s...nverter-p12405

Add that to the Arcam and you're all done.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    One of these may help your cause...

https://www.inta-audio.com/monacor-s...nverter-p12405

Add that to the Arcam and you're all done.
    I quite like that idea, but how would it work? Would I run a pair of RCA leads from those mono outs to say, CD input of amp? And then, could I connect 2 speakers to one speaker out of the amp and one speaker from the other?

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast