+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DAC recommendation

I'm Martin.

I've been having a look around, there are many potential contenders out there. The RME looks to be a fine bit of kit and not too horribly expensive. Also the Cambridge Magic200 seems to have been well received, I haven't seen many adverse comments although I'm not overly keen on external power supplies for inexplicable reasons. I have got the Zen up and working, seems to have opened up the CDs ripped so far, destroying some of my prejudices on the way, interesting times.
    Regards
    Martin

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Audio View Post
    I have been completely beguiled by the Denafrips Ares II DAC, which I bought at the end of last year from Willowtree Audio. Denafrips seemingly make reasonably priced DACs for people who value tonal colour and musical expression, which for me means a really absorbing listening experience that sits happily alongside top flight vinyl. I am seriously considering upgrading to one of Denafrips' top DAC models.

So, I'd recommend placing Denafrips on the list. They are Chinese, but proudly and openly Chinese, which I respect.
    Strongly agree with Hugo about the Ares ii.
    Got mine in mid Jan and have been delighted.
    Then a couple of weeks ago I got an SOtM sms200 se (plus linear ps) to feed the Denafrips Qobuz via Roon.
    Just sublime and also makes me want to explore further up the Denafrips line.

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

It's a while since I posted but this thread caught my eye.

The Denafrips Pontus II (next up from the Ares II) has been on my radar for some time but is on hold for a while.

With that in mind, I wondered if any forum members with the Ares II have previous experience with the Beresford Caiman SEG and can offer any comparisons / observations in the context of sound quality / characteristics? I'm aware there is a dedicated thread for all-things Beresford but the focus of this post is on the Ares II.

For info, I recently added a Bluesound Node 2i as part of an overhauled system and, in fairness, its internal DAC is perfectly decent. However, just because , I couldn't resist a little experiment before pulling (hopefully) the trigger on the Pontus II. Part of that experiment includes a Caiman SEG (due this week) and that's why I'm looking for info on differences in SQ etc from anyone who has had both the Ares II and the SEG.

Some info on how the Musician-Audio Pegasus came into being can be found in an article on the Darko Audio website:
    https://darko.audio/2020/06/kih-77-chinese-chimera/

If the article is accurate, the Pegasus is largely based on the Denafrips Ares - I'll leave the moral and legal debates well alone.
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post
    It's a while since I posted but this thread caught my eye.

The Denafrips Pontus II (next up from the Ares II) has been on my radar for some time but is on hold for a while.

With that in mind, I wondered if any forum members with the Ares II have previous experience with the Beresford Caiman SEG and can offer any comparisons / observations in the context of sound quality / characteristics? I'm aware there is a dedicated thread for all-things Beresford but the focus of this post is on the Ares II.

For info, I recently added a Bluesound Node 2i as part of an overhauled system and, in fairness, its internal DAC is perfectly decent. However, just because , I couldn't resist a little experiment before pulling (hopefully) the trigger on the Pontus II. Part of that experiment includes a Caiman SEG (due this week) and that's why I'm looking for info on differences in SQ etc from anyone who has had both the Ares II and the SEG.

Some info on how the Musician-Audio Pegasus came into being can be found in an article on the Darko Audio website:
    https://darko.audio/2020/06/kih-77-chinese-chimera/

If the article is accurate, the Pegasus is largely based on the Denafrips Ares - I'll leave the moral and legal debates well alone.
    I wouldn't put any faith in what JD says, I don't think he actually understands what a DAC is or what it does. 'I couldn’t help but see Denafrips, from the specs.' Duh. Don't forget to put a doorstop on top of it as that improves the sound. Makes you wonder why they don't come with a doorstop built in.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robin.

If you’re not a fan of China, Aqua-make some musical r2r dacs. Just sayin...
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post

Some info on how the Musician-Audio Pegasus came into being ...
    The Aries II should slaughter the Caiman, I had a Beresford Dac a long while ago and now have the Pegasus.
    I am keen to compare with the Aries II so hope to arrange something with an owner. The Pontus should be even better than the Aries.

As to how the Pegasus came into being is really of no consequence, it's how it sounds, which is excellent.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

Currently I am using the DACs in the CXN which to my ears sound fine, pretty revealing especially if the source material is dodgy. Coding errors in Spotify are all too apparent. It seems that there are two basic types of DAC, Sigma Delta and R2R. Would a kind soul explain the pros and cons of each type, that would seem to a be a necessary basic fundamental understanding to be able to make a choice.
    Regards
    Martin

I'm Martin.

There aren't really any cons to either approach. Done properly you will get a D to A conversion that is as close to perfect as is possible.

Discrete R-2R tend to be more expensive because of the need to match the resistors in the ladder to close tolerances. And you won't get as good a measured performance but done properly it will still be transparent.

In the old days all DACs were R-2R, but using a chip rather than a discrete resistor ladder, so to some extent they are a bit of a throwback. Personally I reckon the power supply implementation is more relevant to sound quality than how the D to A conversion is done.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Would be good to hear a modern DAC that could rival my big 'ol battleship, multi-bit Sony... Sadly, it hasn't happened so far, as every time I take it to a bake-off, the rather rude old ruffian has the audacity to win!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Bet this has got a decent DAC in it, and it's a CD player too, as Rotel gear traditionally punches above its weight:

https://dougbradyhifi.com/products/r...SAAEgL0T_D_BwE

Anyone heard one?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast