+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: budget AV set up

I'm tony.

Default budget AV set up

Im thinking of buying an AV amp/4k player/4k telly and a speaker package with sub.

It will be going in a wee AV room.

Was looking at richer sounds- Whaferdale dx2/Sony str dh790/sony player/lg telly maybe 65 inch.

Basic fisual speaker cable and budget hdmi cables( any recomendations welcome)

Any thoughts on other components at similar money?

I'm tony.

Had a plug and play sony system many moons ago....it was terrific for basic 5.1.

Added a sony av amp that is still doing the business in a freinds system as a main amp.

Just looking to build a movie system for not too much moola.

My current set up is a 2 channel rig that dovetails with my hifi-sub optimal but very good !!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

It's difficult to find an av receiver at a discounted price at the moment because of covid and other issues, I've seen a few mixed reviews of the Sony 790, I've just this last week bought a Yamaha rxv 685 for £419 from Peter Tyson, it's a discontinued model and refurbished, hence the lower price from rrp.
    I wasn't sure I'd buy another Yamaha but went for it anyway, and it's excellent so far.
    Exactly what I wanted with 4k HDR compatability, enough inputs with 5 hdmi and a decent phono stage + eARC.
    But it also has dolby atmos and dts x if wanted to try that.

My advice would be to stretch the budget for the amp a little bit more, a good up to date choice seems to be the Denon 1600H at around £400, does pretty much everything that my Yamaha does, only thing is availability at the moment is short, but should be some for sale soon.

Do you really need a 65 incher can you not get a 55 and with the money saved put it to a better amp?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    It's difficult to find an av receiver at a discounted price at the moment because of covid and other issues, I've seen a few mixed reviews of the Sony 790, I've just this last week bought a Yamaha rxv 685 for £419 from Peter Tyson, it's a discontinued model and refurbished, hence the lower price from rrp.
    I wasn't sure I'd buy another Yamaha but went for it anyway, and it's excellent so far.
    Exactly what I wanted with 4k HDR compatability, enough inputs with 5 hdmi and a decent phono stage + eARC.
    But it also has dolby atmos and dts x if wanted to try that.

My advice would be to stretch the budget for the amp a little bit more, a good up to date choice seems to be the Denon 1600H at around £400, does pretty much everything that my Yamaha does, only thing is availability at the moment is short, but should be some for sale soon.

Do you really need a 65 incher can you not get a 55 and with the money saved put it to a better amp?
    Chris makes some good points there Tony - if your a/v room is as you say, 'wee', too big a screen will be very critical of programme quality. We have a 55" in our 15x12' room, and it looks about right imo.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Optimal viewing distance for 55'' is 8 feet. if you going to be watching from further away than that, then go bigger.

Sitting closer then you can get away with a smaller screen.

This may be of use when selecting an A/V receiver.

Personally after some years of running 5.1 I went back to 2.1 with a proper hi-fi amp that doesn't clip all the time. Surround sound is fun for a while but ultimately I decided it was jut a gimmick and that the game's not worth the candle unless you really splash out on a projector, multi-channel processor, separate power amps, full range speakers all round and multiple subwoofers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

i sit 10ft away or so for a 32"
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I sit 8' away from a 55'' so should be ideal but I do regret not getting a 65''
    Current Lash Up:

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I sit 9.5 feet away from a 50. Did fancy 55 but think it would have been just too big to go in our bay window area.
    50 seems about right to me.

I did try 2 channel stereo for a while but needed too many cables and boxes, phono stage and my little dac plus two digital cables, my new receiver has eliminated all of those and now just needed a hdmi cables to the TV with eARC.

As I had a five speaker set up in situ still, just had to have it back in action.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

I just use an amp with a DAC built in, one optical cable from the TV into the amp, and I'm done.

MM and MC phono stages in the amp too, although I've no cause to use them until they start putting TV shows on records
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Paul.

My 80in projector screen is about 7 foot from my sofa, I love it, was thinking of going bigger when I put it in but glad I didn't. A a 90 or 100in would've been silly.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast