+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince Philip

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - any bass-driven music, mate, sounds AWESOME/KICKiN', through the sub, in the car system - dub/reggae (and dance) coming under the same category!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - you're such a dyed-in-the-wool 70s throwback, and old before your time!

In the 70s and 80s, I listened to Radio 1, as in the 70s it played 70s music, and in the 80s it played 80s music - i.e. what was in the charts at the time! And in those days I was a total pop music/chart fanboy... Well, you've seen the pics!

Radio 2 and 3 was considered as playing 'old man's music', and totally frowned upon, especially as it's what my dad listened to, which as a teenager is a no-no And R4 was for nerds who liked listening to endless discussions about mind-numbingly boring shite (politics or some such)

Outwith of the sports stations (mainly for footy) I don't listen to much radio now. At home, I rarely listen to it, and when in the car am playing CDs from my collection at home, or if can be arsed, pairing Del's smartphone to the Kenwood head unit and accessing my Tidal account.

However, if it's a choice between Radio 1 or 2 now, I'll opt for the former, simply because the latter is SO depressingly dull, and you never hear anything new! In that respect, even though 95% of the output of R1 is dreadful for different reasons, occasionally you get the odd nougat of goodness, such as a cool dance/rap or indie track

Marco [not an intransigent old fart - YET!]
    No, everyone I knew was into Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, BB King, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Joni Mitchell, Beatles, 'Stones, Floyd, Creedence. Proper music

None of us rated New Wave or any of that 80s British pop. There was the odd exception but mostly we considered it to be throwaway pap. Actually I did like The Cult, but no-one else did. And one youth was into U2, but I think that was partly because he was from Belfast.

Some of it I've got into in retrospect. I do listen to the 'Absolute 80s' station sometimes. I still have to switch over if they play The Smiths or The Housemartins though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Yeah but I wanted to listen to Tubeway Army, Flock Of Seagulls, Blondie and Japan.
    Me too! Plus the likes of Blancmange, Ultravox, Depeche Mode, OMD, New Order, Thomas Dolby, Talking Heads, Tears for Fears, XTC, Talk Talk, Robert Palmer, Yello, Peter Gabriel, among MANY others!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Radio6 for me these days. And working from home, I can have Lauren Laverne on which is my fave show currently. New/old indie, some rap/urban for Marco and the Kool Kidz and the occassional forgotten classic too.

Plus she has sciencey and maths guests for a 15 minute slot on specific days which keeps the grey cells stimulated.
    If that's your thing I would also recommend a podcast Daniel and Jorge Explain The Universe. Particle Physics and Quantum Black Holey stuff for the layman. Did you know there may be diamond rain and oceans on Jupiter ?
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, everyone I knew was into Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, BB King, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Joni Mitchell, Beatles, 'Stones, Floyd, Creedence. Proper music
    Cool, but back then for me it was almost the complete opposite! "Proper music" is of course subjective

It wasn't really until sixth year at school that my tastes changed and I discovered some of the bands/artists you've mentioned above, and who I now love. Although I don't think I entertained The Beatles until my mid 20s - possibly later!

Some of it I've got into in retrospect. I do listen to the 'Absolute 80s' station sometimes. I still have to switch over if they play The Smiths or The Housemartins though.
    Not into the latter two, but I'm still largely an 80s boy at heart - and as soon as I play any of that stuff (from my yoof), it always takes me on a very pleasurable and nostalgic journey

Marco.
    Main System

I'm David.

Marco's 80s Peter Gabriel v Macca's 70s Genesis ?
    Fight ! Fight ! Fight!
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Marco's 80s Peter Gabriel v Macca's 70s Genesis ?
    Fight ! Fight ! Fight!

To let you know where my head was at in those days, my fav Phil Collins track was 'In the Air Tonight', as I loved the (now iconic) drum solo, and the overall 'atmospheric' vocals

In contrast, I found 90% of the output of Genesis dull as ditchwater... Different ball game now, though

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I was never into Genesis personally. I tried but I couldn't get with it.

I didn't like much contemporary music until the late 80s and the Madchester bands like the Mondays and the Roses. Then rock came back with Nirvana, Mudhoney, all that scene. That was good times, the late 80s early 90s.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was never into Genesis personally. I tried but I couldn't get with it.

I didn't like much contemporary music until the late 80s and the Madchester bands like the Mondays and the Roses. Then rock came back with Nirvana, Mudhoney, all that scene. That was good times, the late 80s early 90s.
    Well, we were in agreement about Genesis, but sadly not the rest. I HATED all that 'Madchester' shite! Plus I wasn't a big fan of most of the music through the 90s, probably because I didn't get to hear that much of it, as I was working silly hours running my business.. Back then, I didn't do much else but work!

No, for me the early 80s was where it was at, and particularly anything new wave or electronic. In that respect, to my ears, (aside from a few exceptions) the music got progressively worse the longer the 80s went on! Plus, the late 70s/early 80s was a very happy time in my life, as well as there having been some great music around

Marco.
    Main System

I'm David.

Madchester changed my life.
    Flowered Up, from Camden too. Not as well known, but their single It's On is up there with the best and the 11 minute song Weekender with it's associated video was groundbreaking.
    They had their very own Bez, an ex Chelsea Headhunter hoolie called Barry who dressed in a black leotard and huge bright yellow flower head. Did a gig with them at Brixton Fridge and they were incredible. Nice guys, too.
    Phil Collins comes in for some stick but an old friend of mine knocked on his door in Surrey as a young teen because he wanted to be a drummer.
    Phil was very encouraging and gave him a few lessons. My mate went on to have a career in very good, second division indie bands.
    I've got Three Sides Live by Genesis somewhere and it'd probably be worth digging outwhen I'm next feeling proggy.

Didn't he fire his missus by fax, though ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast