+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A system for under a grand ?

I'm David.

With thanks for the thoughts so far, you're preaching to the choir re used equipment but my guy's risk averse and wanting new.
    I've bought some lovely second hand kit over the years and with the £1,000ish budget that would be my approach.
    However.............
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm John.

Rega are doing a system for £999, turntable amp and speakers brand new, got to be worth a look.I’d rather have that with a cheap used CD player and save for a better CD player down the line (Apollo-R).

HIFI Dave should be able to advise I would think.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/the-re...vinyl-solution

https://www.rega.co.uk/news/item/system-one-coming-soon

I'm Ian.

Risk adverse,? Personally i would go 1970s grunge big brash silver fronted receiver, make a statement of it being vintage. Easy to work on easy to repair, seldom go wrong and an appreciating asset, rarher than modern throw away difficult to repair class d stuff. Couple with some more modern speakers. Far less risk. Through in sansui sr222 for good measure and a cd63 for the shiny discs

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Risk adverse,? Personally i would go 1970s grunge big brash silver fronted receiver, make a statement of it being vintage. Easy to work on easy to repair, seldom go wrong and an appreciating asset, rarher than modern throw away difficult to repair class d stuff. Couple with some more modern speakers. Far less risk. Through in sansui sr222 for good measure and a cd63 for the shiny discs
    I'd agree with that, but as we all know sometimes there's just no way of talking people round they just have to go down that road and realise for themselves, i did it with the 1st and only new car i bought, i could have had exactly the same car with a slightly better spec that was a year old and way cheaper, but no i had to buy new, it took a few months until i realised what a dick i'd been.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm John.

Matching used gear is a challenge to say the least. For a first time system it would be nice to have the synergy which I expect the Rega to have from the start so you can sit back and enjoy the music. Very easy to upgrade within the Rega range piece by piece as time and budget permit.

That’s not bad advice actually, I should take it myself

I'm Ian.

Another off the wall idea, project juke box e, with project streamer and speakers.

I'm Ian.

In all seriousness i have three record decks, 2 cassette players, several tuner amps, cd players, streamers and more amps than i care to count BUT the only sources that get regular use are the cd players and tuners. Focussing on what will be used might get a better result

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    When the shops finally open again I'd take a trip to Richersounds...
    THAT would be where I'd start. They're top chaps and know their Hi-Fi for those on a budget.

However...

Turntable: Pro-ject Primary E Phono (line level output) £249

CD Player: TIBO TI435 £120

Active speakers: Edifier S3000 Pros £589

Speaker stands: Mission Stancette £69

Slightly over at £1,067.

The Edifiers are absolutely superb and have multiple inputs (RCA, Balanced, Optical, Bluetooth, USB) and a remote, and DSP. The built in DAC is very very good, and they are absolute powerhouses capable of huge dynamics and unbelievable weight. And they never seem to run out of power. I have a pair of those in my second system and they're so well balanced that I use them for remastering my music. They are seriously that good. They bridge wirelessly rather than with a long cable and the DSP accounts for the distance between them so the timing is right. They would demolish the AE100s too.

TIBO make some pretty cracking audio too. I had a pair of their little floorstanders and they were staggeringly good. A CD player is pretty much what it is at this price level, the DAC is what makes it and the Edifiers take care of that.

Second hand speaker stands would drop the price further of course.

That would be a heck of a system for £1k and brand new. And as the front end is upgraded, the Edifiers will cope with much higher end equipment being fed in too.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    THAT would be where I'd start. They're top chaps and know their Hi-Fi for those on a budget.

However...

Turntable: Pro-ject Primary E Phono (line level output) £249

CD Player: TIBO TI435 £120

Active speakers: Edifier S3000 Pros £589

Speaker stands: Mission Stancette £69

Slightly over at £1,067.

The Edifiers are absolutely superb and have multiple inputs (RCA, Balanced, Optical, Bluetooth, USB) and a remote, and DSP. The built in DAC is very very good, and they are absolute powerhouses capable of huge dynamics and unbelievable weight. And they never seem to run out of power. I have a pair of those in my second system and they're so well balanced that I use them for remastering my music. They are seriously that good. They bridge wirelessly rather than with a long cable and the DSP accounts for the distance between them so the timing is right. They would demolish the AE100s too.

TIBO make some pretty cracking audio too. I had a pair of their little floorstanders and they were staggeringly good. A CD player is pretty much what it is at this price level, the DAC is what makes it and the Edifiers take care of that.

Second hand speaker stands would drop the price further of course.

That would be a heck of a system for £1k and brand new. And as the front end is upgraded, the Edifiers will cope with much higher end equipment being fed in too.
    The Edifiers also look pretty cool imo. Also agree about Richer Sounds - always so helpful, no matter how little you're spending
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm David.

Blown away by the responses, thanks All.
    I'll give it the attention it deserves on Friday when I'm free.

Just having fun running in my new acquisition, a Missing Link digital cable.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast