+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new vinyl

I'm Mike.

At last count I’m just over a third of Amazon Vinyl purchases being returned for various reasons such as damaged sleeves, warped vinyl, poor pressings with flaws in vinyl.

Easy and free return service though.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    At last count I’m just over a third of Amazon Vinyl purchases being returned for various reasons such as damaged sleeves, warped vinyl, poor pressings with flaws in vinyl.

Easy and free return service though.
    True, but one shouldn't have to go through all the hassle. In the days before the advent of CD, vinyl was the only real source of music, and the pressing plants were churning out tens of thousands of LPs. Obviously there were some that despite passing the manufacturer's quality control, were unacceptable to the purchaser. My local record shop (a family business, now sadly long gone) would always accept returns: in their words "it's the only way the pressing plants will learn".

Not all record vendors were so understanding or accomodating. HMV in Oxford Street were the worse. If you took an LP back they would simply put it on the shop's turntable and say "it plays OK, so there is nothing wrong with it."
    Barry

I'm Steve.

[QUOTE=Barry;1265279] My local record shop (a family business, now sadly long gone) would always accept returns: in their words "it's the only way the pressing plants will learn".

Wise words, and applicable to so many things. Tolerating crap quality benefits no one, not even the manufacturers in the long run.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martyn.

I bought Analogue Productions’ Beach Boys album ‘Sunflower’ and it was absolutely perfect.
    Delivered in a strong cardboard sleeve.

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by marf53 View Post
    I have found Diverse Vinyl to be very good and get most of my records from there. They are very helpful.
    I have to agree, having used the team at Diverse for many years..... Always helpful and resolve problems without hesitation.... Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Burning Shed deserve recognition for using the best designed mailers for protecting album sleeves.
    Agree here too. Don't think I've ever had to return a single disc and their packaging is excellent. Despite their limited catalogue I would also recommended BS if they have something you are interested in.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Mike.

I buy quite a lot of vinyl from all sorts of sources.

I'd say the packaging is fine 80% of the time, but the pressings are often atrocious. The amount of warps, minor scratches etc beggars belief; I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't 40%.

Quality is err, variable, if I'm being generous.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Stephen.

Just returned the only album I've ever bought on Amazon (Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference) had the worst warp I've ever seen - packaging was bomb proof and next day delivery but vinyl very thin - almost feels soft.
    I usually buy my new vinyl from The Sound of Vinyl and never had a problem. The latest London Grammar arrived last week (Californian Soil) first album I've had on "Eco Vinyl"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Just returned the only album I've ever bought on Amazon (Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference) had the worst warp I've ever seen - packaging was bomb proof and next day delivery but vinyl very thin - almost feels soft.
    I usually buy my new vinyl from The Sound of Vinyl and never had a problem. The latest London Grammar arrived last week (Californian Soil) first album I've had on "Eco Vinyl"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Apart from certain audiophile pressings, I'd say at least 90% of my new vinyl purchases in the last 3 years have arrived warped to some degree. QC in pressing is non-existent, packaging or shipping damage is a secondary, minor issue. Don't get me started on the crap quality of recordings too...

I'm Chris.

Most new vinyl is not analogue anyway, it is just pressed with the digital recording, so whats the point in that other than a money grab ?
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Thought I'd just see what others experience is like when buying new vinyl.....

I've just returned to Amazon my replacement pair of Bowie Remasters (180gms). Amazon's speed of delivery and collection of returns is impressive but whilst the 1st lot were packed well - both in mailers placed in a bigger box - the 2nd lot had only one in a mailer and the other just rattled around in the bigger box, unprotected causing sleeve damage. But once more its either pressing quality or post pressing storage quality - the first and replacements (4 in all) all had dishes plus mild warps, one had off-centred spindle hole and one had very noisy grooves. Unacceptable for me. All perfectly fine for someone with a Crossley though I guess they won't be bothered with remasters !

Now, when I order a brand new LP there is never any warning from the retailer that I am contracting into accepting the risk of poor quality LP's. So, in my view I should get acceptable quality. I had the same issue some years ago so Ive been seeking out NM copies of what I fancy from places like Discogs and have had c.95% success i.e the sellers graded their stuff correctly and I've only returned a few of the 40+ i've brought so, on the whole I'm ok with that. Of course I won't pay silly money for 1st presses but new remasters do appeal at an OK cost. So, I had thought that for my birthday I'd treat myself to a few NEW ones - the 1st for say 3 years. And sadly I find that the quality issues are all still here alive and well.

Is it still the same for you or do you have better luck ?

regards richard

When it comes to mailers, Burning Shed are the best in the business - card that protrudes outwards and protects the corners. All the albums I've bought from them arrive looking like the sleeves have only just been printed and sealed.

As for new vinyl in general, a lot of albums I buy are from small artists with limited pressings and there's an unhealthy obsession with issuing multi-coloured vinyl editions. These conceal a load of surface damage which is very disappointing since when there are only 100-500 copies of an album pressed, your chances of getting a replacement are negligible.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast