+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new vinyl

I'm richard.

Default new vinyl

Thought I'd just see what others experience is like when buying new vinyl.....

I've just returned to Amazon my replacement pair of Bowie Remasters (180gms). Amazon's speed of delivery and collection of returns is impressive but whilst the 1st lot were packed well - both in mailers placed in a bigger box - the 2nd lot had only one in a mailer and the other just rattled around in the bigger box, unprotected causing sleeve damage. But once more its either pressing quality or post pressing storage quality - the first and replacements (4 in all) all had dishes plus mild warps, one had off-centred spindle hole and one had very noisy grooves. Unacceptable for me. All perfectly fine for someone with a Crossley though I guess they won't be bothered with remasters !

Now, when I order a brand new LP there is never any warning from the retailer that I am contracting into accepting the risk of poor quality LP's. So, in my view I should get acceptable quality. I had the same issue some years ago so Ive been seeking out NM copies of what I fancy from places like Discogs and have had c.95% success i.e the sellers graded their stuff correctly and I've only returned a few of the 40+ i've brought so, on the whole I'm ok with that. Of course I won't pay silly money for 1st presses but new remasters do appeal at an OK cost. So, I had thought that for my birthday I'd treat myself to a few NEW ones - the 1st for say 3 years. And sadly I find that the quality issues are all still here alive and well.

Is it still the same for you or do you have better luck ?

regards richard

I'm Gordon.

I think it has to be said that no matter how expensive, or how 'limited' the production run may be, there are faults to vinyl albums that leave me pretty disappointed on many occasions.... Automation and lack of quality control allows poor discs through the system with scratches, warps, off centre holes..... and the list goes on.

How's this for an example of a 180gm / limited edition / high quality disc that slipped through: ()

Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    I think it has to be said that no matter how expensive, or how 'limited' the production run may be, there are faults to vinyl albums that leave me pretty disappointed on many occasions.... Automation and lack of quality control allows poor discs through the system with scratches, warps, off centre holes..... and the list goes on.

How's this for an example of a 180gm / limited edition / high quality disc that slipped through: ()

That's hilarious!!!.... Never seen anything like it!!

... And I forgot to mention that one of the LPs had lots of vinyl shards over the surface - doh!

I'm guy.

I think that there has always been a risk in buying new vinyl.

Many years ago I returned a first pressing of Dire Straits "love over gold" to W H Smiths because it kept on jumping.
    Shop assistant told me that I should just put a penny on my head-shell (new Rega 2 with ADC XLM at the time, so I told her what I thought of her advice )
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Paul.

I have found Diverse Vinyl to be very good and get most of my records from there. They are very helpful.

I'm Mike.

For me it's a bit of a lottery, like Richard i've bought my fair share of LP's from Amazon and i'd agree with his views, that the packaging is on the whole ok, it's not fantastic but usually it's good enough. Vinyl production is another matter, i can't remember the last time i opened a sealed LP and found it pristine, LP's are usually covered in a mixture of dust, paper and vinyl shards and are unplayable without 1st running through a RCM, add to that warps and hole misalignment as i've said it's a lottery, but something that could easily be fixed by the manufacturers with cleaner packaging facilities and better QC which in my opinion we should already be getting as we are already paying a premium to have the recording on vinyl. Again like Richard i'd rather buy a NM older pressing off discogs going for something that's mid priced usually steers you clear of the piss takers who would badge a used bust bin lid as near mint, they also usually pack the LP really well and are happy to refund if you're not satisfied.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm richard.

Thats worth knowing Paul; thanks !

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    For me it's a bit of a lottery, like Richard i've bought my fair share of LP's from Amazon and i'd agree with his views, that the packaging is on the whole ok, it's not fantastic but usually it's good enough. Vinyl production is another matter, i can't remember the last time i opened a sealed LP and found it pristine, LP's are usually covered in a mixture of dust, paper and vinyl shards and are unplayable without 1st running through a RCM, add to that warps and hole misalignment as i've said it's a lottery, but something that could easily be fixed by the manufacturers with cleaner packaging facilities and better QC which in my opinion we should already be getting as we are already paying a premium to have the recording on vinyl. Again like Richard i'd rather buy a NM older pressing off discogs going for something that's mid priced usually steers you clear of the piss takers who would badge a used bust bin lid as near mint, they also usually pack the LP really well and are happy to refund if you're not satisfied.
    Agree with all of that Mike and you'd think that Amazon with the volume of returns they must have then, they would complain bitterly to someone that they are wasting money on processing returns and re-deliveries for free (Prime...) and yet with the resurgence of Vinyl and all the special colours and remasters etc etc nothing ever changes. Ho hum !!!

With Discogs I only ever use dealers with 99.8% positive feedback and a decent track record of at least 750-1000 +. I find that safer. They have a reputation to built. I also ask that they double check its really a NM copy with no warps etc. Seems OK so far !

regards, richard

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

My bugbear is inadequate packaging and bent corners. Burning Shed deserve recognition for using the best designed mailers for protecting album sleeves.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    My bugbear is inadequate packaging and bent corners. Burning Shed deserve recognition for using the best designed mailers for protecting album sleeves.
    Cheers worth checking out Pete!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast