+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free: QED Digit

I'm Rob.

Default Free: QED Digit

If anyone is interested in a QED Digit DAC they can have it for free (though if you want it posted, you'll need to pay the for that). I'm having a bit of a tidy up, and it's been sat boxed up on a shelf as long as I've been in this house, and I can't see me using it.

It was the first DAC I bought (in 1994) and made me a firm convert to separate DACs. So the first in a long line of DACs in my systems over the years.

The power supply has gone walkabout over the years (the PSU box in the photo is empty!), and it is a case of sold (or given away) as seen. The QED was seen at the time as a hobbyist's DAC with lots of tweaking options, though the only tweak I made was adding a better external PSU.

The unit is labelled Digit Plus - I think the Plus meant it had an improved power supply, but I can't remember if that's correct.

So Free to a good home.

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Andrew.

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

Given away subject to .... um ... postage
    Rob.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Cracking little DAC. It was the introduction for many folk into the world of offboard DACs. I seem to remember some great reviews in What Hi-Fi and Hi-Fi World at the time.

I'm Rob.

I certainly haven't looked back. I can't remember the CD Player I had at the time. I had a Marantz CD40 in the late 80s, and a TEAC VDRS7 in the late 90s, but can't remember what went between the two. It can't have been the CD40 as that didn't have a digital output. What I do remember was being pleased with the difference the QED made. Off for a walk now - I'll have a think and see if I can remember what the QED was paired with at the time.
    Rob.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Oooh, let's think of some stuff from the same era.

Marantz CD52?
    Arcam Alpha?
    NAD?
    Rotel?

I'm Rob.

Walk done, and it still doesn't seem to be coming to light.

I bought a pair of TDL RTL2s around the same time, and remember them being demoed with a Arcam Alpha 7 CD Player. But I don't think I bought one. I'm a little vague because I had a Arcam Alpha 2 amplifier around the time I had the CD40.

I think the player may have been a Denon - one of the DCD models. But if so it has left only the vaguest recollection.

It's like remembering the names of old girlfriends. Some come back straight away, others take a little more thought.
    Rob.