+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD: small, cheap DAC

I'm Phil.

Default WTD: small, cheap DAC

Hi, I'm looking for a small DAC with toslink input to run a Chromecast into a second system. Ideally it would be cheap and have automatic power on when a signal is fed through it (if such a function exists).

I'm Martin.

Not sure how cheap you want but a Topping E30 is £140 new and ticks all your boxes, also has outstanding sound quality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I'm chuffed with the five quid USB powered DAC I had sent from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-D...wAAOSwz7Jf3XSn
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm chuffed with the five quid USB powered DAC I had sent from China.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-D...wAAOSwz7Jf3XSn
    Thumbs up from me too.
    1984 was a warning - Not an instruction manual

I like (things) in brackets

I'm Nigel.

Hi Macca,

What do you use to power the Topping? Also, which input are you using coaxial or optical? Cheers. Apologies for the thread interruption.

I'm Kevin.

There is also the Just Boom DAC for £25.
    Jimbo runs one and is quite happy.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alan.

Just for some info, I opened up the £5 dac from ebay, it is a bargain but the chip used is only 12bit, that's not to cast dispersion as theres been many a 12bit dac used for "hi end" I just couldn't sleep knowing it was below CD resolution. If your over 50 you wont have ears good enough to tell, I couldn't but I used a Linear power supply with it. The Topping is a great choice if you want something that measures incredibly well and can also be considered a bargain for that.
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm Geoff.

Well for the money, it sounds good enough for me not to care what's inside it. I thought my little V-DAC sounded decent, but the £5 Chinese unit is as good or better. Although neither, despite sounding decent, come close to Monarchy Audio DACs.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Hi Macca,

What do you use to power the Topping? Also, which input are you using coaxial or optical? Cheers. Apologies for the thread interruption.
    Hi Nigel

I use a mobile phone charger. for power. I'm using the Coaxial input.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Just for some info, I opened up the £5 dac from ebay, it is a bargain but the chip used is only 12bit, that's not to cast dispersion as theres been many a 12bit dac used for "hi end" I just couldn't sleep knowing it was below CD resolution. If your over 50 you wont have ears good enough to tell, I couldn't but I used a Linear power supply with it. The Topping is a great choice if you want something that measures incredibly well and can also be considered a bargain for that.
    12 bits is about the maximum dynamic range of vinyl and no-one complains about that. 16 bit for CD was always overkill. But I see where you're coming from,
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast