+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DSD over DoP

I'm Clive.

Default DSD over DoP

I’m a little confused about DSD over DoP which is as I understand DSD played back with PCM. I wonder what the point is. There are a fair number of experts convinced that DSD sounds much better than PCM but if you have to listen to it in PCM, then you cannot be getting the advantage of the better codec, can you?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Grant.

It should sound just the same as native. It requires a higher rate of pcm capability and a little extra processing
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It should sound just the same as native. It requires a higher rate of pcm capability and a little extra processing
    Thanks Grant but that’s the point. You use the word SHOULD sound the same and at the end use A LITTLE EXTRA PROCESSING, both to my mind have negative connotations, hence my confusion.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Pete.

This is my first post so be gentle!

I sympathise with you that if DoP meant listening to PCM it would be a waste of time. However I think that you are misconstruing what DoP is.

DoP contains no data which is not DSD. It is a data packing protocol which enables DSD data to be transported using a PCM dedicated interface such as S/Pdif, AES/EBU or USB. You cannot listen to the resulting file without a DAC which supports DSD.

DoP was invented by dCS who also ( as partners with Sony) devised the data packing of DSD in SACD.

For further information see:

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/wha...-dsd-over-pcm/

I'm Tony.

It just a way of converting DSD <> PCM and allowing sample frequencies over 192Khz and alleged bits rates over 24 by using the inferior USB format, but it looks good on any sales brochure and keeps those chaps happy that like to see that 'extra' illuminated symbol that convinces them of superior sound quality.
    Cynical moi? it like proclaiming that MQA is actually worth having

You could also suggest that DSD is far superior to LPCM, that debate would be quite amusing
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Cockerney View Post
    This is my first post so be gentle!

I sympathise with you that if DoP meant listening to PCM it would be a waste of time. However I think that you are misconstruing what DoP is.

DoP contains no data which is not DSD. It is a data packing protocol which enables DSD data to be transported using a PCM dedicated interface such as S/Pdif, AES/EBU or USB. You cannot listen to the resulting file without a DAC which supports DSD.

DoP was invented by dCS who also ( as partners with Sony) devised the data packing of DSD in SACD.

For further information see:

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/wha...-dsd-over-pcm/
    Thank you, just the answer I needed to defuddle my old brain.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread