+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions.

I'm Duncan.

Default Decisions, decisions.

Hi all and Happy easter.
    Although not a member of this glorious site for long, I have spent many a happy hour scrutinising various threads and posts recently.
    Having been an avid Hifi buff for 40 years, I have arrived at an epiphany.
    My latest audiology review at work has confirmed a problem of which I have been aware for some time.
    My upper frequency hearing is in decline, and is not likely to improve. I have been aware of this during listening sessions and it makes the following decision somewhat painful.
    The equipment I have cherished for some time now is being used more and more infrequently as I cannot hear the things I used to.
    Therefore, I am going to part with it all. Herein lies my dilemma.
    I do not know the true worth of it all.
    Prices are subjective I think, with whim being a major player in this field.
    Does anybody feel they can help me on this matter please ?
    I have numerous lovely quality pieces I will have to part with, all in near mint condition.
    They include a Wadia 861 basic CD player, a Mark Levinson 38s pre-amp, a Classe Audio DR8 pre-amp, a 3 shelf Finite Elemente Pagode
    Reference equipment rack, and a pair of Dali helicon mk1 400 speakers with dedicated Dali stands.
    The thing is, what are they worth please ?
    I am quite happy to list them here for sale, but am unsure where to go on a price that is fair to both seller and purchaser.
    Hoping some kind person may be able to help me here on my sad quest.
    Thank you very much indeed.
    Take care and stay safe.
    Duncan.

I'm Geoff.

I don't find inability to hear higher frequencies affects my enjoyment of Hi-Fi. My hearing in my left ear cuts off above 10kHz and my right ear which has always been impaired, cuts off above about 1kHz. Most of the time I don't think about it and still enjoy my music.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Dealers such as Midland audio can give guidance too , the want stuff and finite stuff popular . Pics make such a difference too . Ebay is a good place to find prices . Be realistic in expectations as so many overprice stuff

I'm Martin.

based on the new price and sold listings (a rough guide only):

Wadia 861 £1500
    Mark Levinson 38s pre-amp, £2000
    Classe Audio DR8 £800
    Dali helicon mk1 400 speakers £1100

All good stuff, unless you're really properly going deaf I'd keep it if I were you.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Duncan.

Thank you all for your contributions.
    The hearing loss has depleted my enjoyment to a degree I don't use the equipment any longer.
    I appreciate your help and will look further into its disposal.
    Many thanks for helping.
    Take care and Happy easter.
    Thanks, Duncan

I'm Lawrence.

Are you sure they are model 400 speakers? As you mention stands and I think the 400s are floorstanders?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

The price I gave was for a floorstander, if there is a standmount version of the 400 or if it is in fact a different model, then ignore that.

Maybe the OP is referring to some sort of plinth or low stand?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

Actually the 861 if you have all the boxes and paperwork plus those stock coasters for the spikes you may manage £1750 for the right buyer, though very few basic versions ever landed in the UK.

A fully loaded 861se can fetch around £3500-£4250 for the right model and person.

Wadia's have been my guilty pleasure for close to 30 years, and now as of last week I have the complete portfolio!
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Phil.

maybe time to change your forum name back to wadia-miester again !!!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't find inability to hear higher frequencies affects my enjoyment of Hi-Fi. My hearing in my left ear cuts off above 10kHz and my right ear which has always been impaired, cuts off above about 1kHz. Most of the time I don't think about it and still enjoy my music.
    I agree - I can't hear pure sinusoidal waveforms above 10kHz, yet I can still hear high frequency disortion if it occurs (say on record replay), and can hear the effect if a steep 10kHz filter is switched in.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast